Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has a Galaxy Nexus?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Who has a Galaxy Nexus?

Or Nexus 4, Nexus 7, or Nexus 10?

If so, are you planning on installing the Touch Developer Preview tomorrow?

I just got a GNex myself, am quite excited to install. Though I wish I'd not slipped up and spent $4 on the Play Store today.
    US Army Band Veteran
    Bodybuilding Crew

Beans
    Distro

Re: Who has a Galaxy Nexus?

I have a Galaxy Nexus, and I'm also quite excited about the preview. Any word on what time (and what time zone that time is in) it'll be up? I need to know if I should go to bed early, or stay up late. lol
    Bart: Hey, why is it destroying other toys? Lisa: They must have programmed it to eliminate the competition. Bart: You mean like Microsoft? Lisa: Exactly.

Beans
    Distro

I have Ubuntu installed in chroot already, on my nexus 4. I plan to get the Ubuntu touch preview as well, when I have time. Am not that interested in Ubuntu as my main nexus 4 OS for the foreseeable future because android has more of the phone apps I want. But as another option I welcome it!
    Want two extra gigs of hard drive space?
    Support running Ubuntu from a compressed file!

Beans

Does anyone know if the CDMA Galaxy Nexus' are supported? Or is it just going to be the GSM verision?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by willc0de4food View Post
    Any word on what time (and what time zone that time is in) it'll be up?
    Right now it is 6:37 PM in the Eastern Time Zone, so if you're in Michigan, it's 5:37 PM. In London right now it is 11:37 PM. Canonical opens at 8am local time according to their switchboard. So 2am EST, 1am Michigan time. Just maybe they'll release it soon after they've had their coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Romparoo View Post
    Does anyone know if the CDMA Galaxy Nexus' are supported?
    I certainly hope so. I've just bought the Sprint CDMA version - ToroPlus - just for this.
    US Army Band Veteran
    Bodybuilding Crew

Beans
    Distro

I have all except for the N10 and yes, I am rather excited. Bought a MicroSIM to SIM adapter just for testing on my GNex.

Alas, I wouldn't get your hopes up for CDMA support. It would honestly surprise me if they made CDMA images available.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BslBryan View Post
    Right now it is 6:37 PM in the Eastern Time Zone, so if you're in Michigan, it's 5:37 PM. In London right now it is 11:37 PM. Canonical opens at 8am local time according to their switchboard. So 2am EST, 1am Michigan time. Just maybe they'll release it soon after they've had their coffee.
    We're actually also on EST in MI :] we're RIGHT on the border.. Chicago is central time. Hmm.. I do have a couple monsters in the fridge >.>
    Bart: Hey, why is it destroying other toys? Lisa: They must have programmed it to eliminate the competition. Bart: You mean like Microsoft? Lisa: Exactly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nburnes View Post
    I have all except for the N10 and yes, I am rather excited. Bought a MicroSIM to SIM adapter just for testing on my GNex.

Alas, I wouldn't get your hopes up for CDMA support. It would honestly surprise me if they made CDMA images available.
    Hopefully if not it won't be too long before it's ported. That seems like something very easy to do as I can already shoehorn GSM Roms for Android onto my CDMA phone. Not sure how different the process would be.

Has anyone heard anything about functionality?

On the tablet, for instance, engadget posted a video at Canonical and while a lot has been implemented successfully - voice commands, side stage, etc - a lot is just filler to show what the UI is supposed to look like. There is no installed music player, for example, so there will be no way to listen to music, and the "people" tab is populated with the development team of Ubuntu Mobile platforms - it won't be synced with your facebook and gmail contacts.

I understand this is temporary, of course, and that the tablet UI was only announced officially yesterday, but I'm hoping the Ubuntu Phone at least has the functionality to listen to music, send sms, and dial out.

EDIT: https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-phone/msg00125.html
    The GSM model is the only one being targeted right now. The OS may run
    on the other models, but it wouldn't be able to use the phone or 3g/4g
    data functionality.
    Last edited by BslBryan; February 21st, 2013 at 01:54 AM.
    US Army Band Veteran
    Bodybuilding Crew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have the basic Galaxy Nexus myself, and am very curious and excited to see how Ubuntu will merge into the mobile realm.

I did have the Nexus 10 as well, but returned it. However, I'm seriously considering picking one up tomorrow just so I can put Ubuntu on it!
    Last edited by norfair; February 21st, 2013 at 02:48 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast