Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem building/compiling anything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Problem building/compiling anything

I'm getting these error when I try to compile anything:

robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:/media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112$ make KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd` make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic' Wireless Extension is the only possible API for this kernel version Using Wireless Extension API LD /media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112/built-in.o CC [M] /media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112/src/shared/linux_osl.o CC [M] /media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.o /media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c:388:2: error: unknown field ‘ndo_set_multicast_list’ specified in initialiser /media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c:388:2: warning: initialisation from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default] /media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c:388:2: warning: (near initialisation for ‘wl_netdev_ops.ndo_validate_addr’) [enabled by default] make[2]: *** [/media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.o] Error 1 make[1]: *** [_module_/media/DATA/Linux/drivers/wireless/hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic' make: *** [all] Error 2

I need to be able to compile now because I'm trying to install wireless drivers.
    I have run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Problem building/compiling anything

Looks like a depends problem...

You didn't say what version Ubuntu you are running or what specific driver, but for most wireless drivers on 12.04 LTS and running 64bit (looked at your errors and saw 64bit errors):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-4.5 g++-4.5 ia32-libs libxi-dev libxmu-dev freeglut3-dev subversion libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev gawk gcc-multilib flex git-core gettext fakeroot dh-make debhelper  debconf wget execstack
    Would cover you for most everything a normal person would need to compile on a 64bit system. Anything already installed on your system, it would just skip.

"build-essentials" (and add "ialibs-32" for 64bit systems) is the main package that almost everyone needs to install before compiling something on their own in Ubuntu for NIC drivers, graphics binaries, etc., etc. The making sure the compilers are up to a certain version. Then libraries specific to what it is compiling.

Hope this helps.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Have you installed the build-essentials package that is needed to compile and install anything?
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Looks like a depends problem...

You didn't say what version Ubuntu you are running or what specific driver, but for most wireless drivers on 12.04 LTS and running 64bit (looked at your errors and saw 64bit errors):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-4.5 g++-4.5 ia32-libs libxi-dev libxmu-dev freeglut3-dev subversion libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev gawk gcc-multilib flex git-core gettext fakeroot dh-make debhelper  debconf wget execstack
    Would cover you for most everything a normal person would need to compile on a 64bit system. Anything already installed on your system, it would just skip.

"build-essentials" (and add "ialibs-32" for 64bit systems) is the main package that almost everyone needs to install before compiling something on their own in Ubuntu for NIC drivers, graphics binaries, etc., etc. The making sure the compilers are up to a certain version. Then libraries specific to what it is compiling.

Hope this helps.
    Yes I have installed build-essentials.

Here's the response:
    Code:
    robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:~$ sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-4.5 g++-4.5 ia32-libs libxi-dev libxmu-dev freeglut3-dev subversion libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev gawk gcc-multilib flex git-core gettext fakeroot dh-make debhelper  debconf wget execstack
    [sudo] password for robawalsh: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    debconf is already the newest version.
    debhelper is already the newest version.
    debhelper set to manually installed.
    fakeroot is already the newest version.
    fakeroot set to manually installed.
    gawk is already the newest version.
    gawk set to manually installed.
    gettext is already the newest version.
    gettext set to manually installed.
    git-core is already the newest version.
    libxi-dev is already the newest version.
    libxi-dev set to manually installed.
    wget is already the newest version.
    zlib1g-dev is already the newest version.
    zlib1g-dev set to manually installed.
    build-essential is already the newest version.
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
     ia32-libs : Depends: ia32-libs-multiarch
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:~$
    I don't know what the "you have held broken packages" means, or which packages are broken, and I tried "Fix broken packages" in Synaptic but that appeared to do nothing...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by robawalsh View Post
    Yes I have installed build-essentials.

ia32-libs : Depends: ia32-libs-multiarch
    robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:~$
    [/CODE]

I don't know what the "you have held broken packages" means, or which packages are broken, and I tried "Fix broken packages" in Synaptic but that appeared to do nothing...
    Try this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    And which version Ubuntu and what specific driver?

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Try this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    And which version Ubuntu and what specific driver?

sudo apt-get install -f
    didn't help

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS kernel 3.2.0-38-generic

Specifically, I was trying to compile and install the official Broadcom STA 802.11 driver, but this problem also happened when trying to compile other drivers, like brcmscmac (brcm80211), and basically anything I've tried to compile

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by robawalsh View Post

sudo apt-get install -f
    didn't help

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS kernel 3.2.0-38-generic

Specifically, I was trying to compile and install the official Broadcom STA 802.11 driver, but this problem also happened when trying to compile other drivers, like brcmscmac (brcm80211), and basically anything I've tried to compile
    Try this for the latest problem:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-multiarch
    Looking at the source that you are installing and seeing if it sheds any light... Wait one on that.

Beans
    Distro

Try this for the latest problem:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-multiarch
    Looking at the source that you are installing and seeing if it sheds any light... Wait one on that.
    Yeah I tried that, same error:
    Code:
    robawalsh@Dell-Inspiron-N5110:~$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-multiarch
    [sudo] password for robawalsh: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

ia32-libs-multiarch:i386 : Depends: gstreamer0.10-plugins-good:i386 but it is not going to be installed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That particular source should depend on: build-essential, debhelper, dh-apparmor, difstat, dpkg-dev, g++, g++-4.6, gettext, html2text, initool-debian, libalgorithm-diff-perl, libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl, libalgorithm-merge-perl, libdkg-perl, libstd++6-4.6-dev, module-assistant, po-debconf and quilt.

While I was looking up the source you said you are trying to compile for that driver...I found ubuntu package broadcom-sta-common.

"broadcom-sta-common" is a binary-only device driver to support the following IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n wireless network cards: BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4313-, BCM4321-, BCM4322-, BCM43224-, BCM43225-, BCM43227-, and BCM43228-based hardware.

If you install that broadcom-sta-common package, it also installs all those above depends, plus broadcom-sta-source... and since it's in the repo's, it would update automatically as new versions become available...

That is now two routes...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 21st, 2013 at 12:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

That particular source should depend on: build-essential, debhelper, dh-apparmor, difstat, dpkg-dev, g++, g++-4.6, gettext, html2text, initool-debian, libalgorithm-diff-perl, libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl, libalgorithm-merge-perl, libdkg-perl, libstd++6-4.6-dev, module-assistant, po-debconf and quilt.

While I was looking up the source you said you are trying to compile for that driver...I found ubuntu package broadcom-sta-common.

"broadcom-sta-common" is a binary-only device driver to support the following IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n wireless network cards: BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4313-, BCM4321-, BCM4322-, BCM43224-, BCM43225-, BCM43227-, and BCM43228-based hardware.

If you install that broadcom-sta-common package, it also installs all those above depends, plus broadcom-sta-source... and since it's in the repo's, it would update automatically as new versions become available...

That is now two routes...
    Yes but I'm trying to install the drivers manually since the broadcom-sta-common package isn't working - that's a separate issue here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12521161

broadcom-sta-common is installed, as well as broadcom-sta-source and bcmwl-kernel-source

The focus of this thread was the compiling issue which keeps recurring when I try to compile anything...
    Last edited by robawalsh; February 21st, 2013 at 12:51 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast