Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will installing Ubuntu Phone be illegal in the USA?

Beans

Exclamation Will installing Ubuntu Phone be illegal in the USA?

Hi,

In the USA there was a law passed recently that makes it illegal to bypass the bootloader security of a device.

Does this mean that it will be illegal to install Ubuntu Phone and Tablet on devices with locked bootloaders (e.g., the Nexus 7)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Will installing Ubuntu Phone be illegal in the USA?

IF I was you, I'd worry more about if such a thing is even possible given that, according to a write-up on Verizon's approach:
    By way of the encrypted bootloader, the device is effectively made worthless because when a new carrier flashes their software to the phone, the bootloader recognizes it as "Unapproved Software" and puts the device into a boot loop.
    To me, this means that even if you COULD flash a Verizon phone with Ubuntu, it still would not work.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Also Ubuntu phone is not meant as a product for users to install on their own mobile phones. It is intended as a product for mobile phone manufacturers to ship devices with already installed.

It may be possible for users to install it on some models of phone, but only after someone does the work of porting it for that specific model. This may or may not happen for any particular model.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not every phone in the US is carrier locked or required to be.

no need to unlock an unlocked phone,so laws broken in the case of a google phone.

Beans

Seems interesting, I think it will be a long time before we see Ubuntu on phones in the US from any major carrier.

Beans

Is anyone going to care if you bypassed the bootloader? It's your phone. Most US laws are stupid, and the people that keep reinstating these SOPA and PIPA stuff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Moved to Mobile Technology Discussions.

Beans

I don't think it is illegal.It is just like an app.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BonceyDoesLinux View Post
    Is anyone going to care if you bypassed the bootloader? It's your phone. Most US laws are stupid, and the people that keep reinstating these SOPA and PIPA stuff.
    Locking phones to carriers should be illegal. There is already a contract holding you to pay monthly for 2-3 years, no reason to lock the phone down.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny1234 View Post
    I don't think it is illegal.It is just like an app.
    http://gizmodo.com/5978982/unlocking...rting-tomorrow
    Last edited by oldos2er; February 21st, 2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Please respect the Code of Conduct and keep politics out of the discussion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by txbahai View Post
    Seems interesting, I think it will be a long time before we see Ubuntu on phones in the US from any major carrier.
    The first products are meant to be coming out next year. Is that long enough?

Besides, this thread has nothing to do with bootloaders or official Ubuntu Phone devices. Removing the network lock on a phone is illegal in the USA, but that has nothing to do with the operating system on the phone.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast