Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will installing Ubuntu Phone be illegal in the USA?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Will installing Ubuntu Phone be illegal in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    The first products are meant to be coming out next year. Is that long enough?
    It's actually even sooner, October I believe...

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/02/f...s-shuttleworth
    Cheesemill

Beans

Removing the network lock on a phone is illegal in the USA, but that has nothing to do with the operating system on the phone.
    From my experience, GSM phones aren't locked. I've bought phones from third parties and used them on AT&T's network simply by moving my SIM card. I didn't change providers, but I'd be surprised if they wouldn't have worked had I put a T-Mobile SIM in them instead.

These were all traditional phones. I don't know if I could simply replace the SIM from my new Galaxy S3 from T-Mobile with a SIM from AT&T, but I'd bet I can.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    It's actually even sooner, October I believe...

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/02/f...s-shuttleworth
    It's been corrected in the last few days; 13.10 is when Ubuntu Phone will be on the same codebase as desktop Ubuntu, and presumably the phone environment will be installable on the desktop. Actual Ubuntu phones will ship next year.

From my experience, GSM phones aren't locked.
    You mean, in America. In most countries, GSM phones from carriers are network-locked.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

There is already a contract holding you to pay monthly for 2-3 years, no reason to lock the phone down.
    This does not apply to the user of a stolen phone. I see lots of places in London offering to unlock mobile phones. I do not know if it is legal or illegal in the UK to do this. But why is it necessary?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

It's been corrected in the last few days; 13.10 is when Ubuntu Phone will be on the same codebase as desktop Ubuntu, and presumably the phone environment will be installable on the desktop. Actual Ubuntu phones will ship next year.

You mean, in America. In most countries, GSM phones from carriers are network-locked.
    The GSM phones I've had in the U.S. were indeed network locked. The carrier (AT&T in this case) heavily subsidizes high end phones expecting to get their money back plus a bunch more over the life of the contract. In my experience, once the contract terms are fulfilled, they're willing to issue an unlock code.

AT&T and T-mobile sell prepaid phones. They are GSM phones, I don't know if there is any network lock involved there or not.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AllWires View Post
    Hi,

In the USA there was a law passed recently that makes it illegal to bypass the bootloader security of a device.

Does this mean that it will be illegal to install Ubuntu Phone and Tablet on devices with locked bootloaders (e.g., the Nexus 7)?
    It all depends on the company that releases the device making a complaint. It's not really criminal code stuff, as people have a right to manipulate their possessions, but you may be under a civil agreement not to and that may be backed by some sort of criminal-code legislation.

Google uses open-source and that tends to mean they aren't a restrictive company to end user modification, or are expected to have it open under licence. This is why most of the images are to suit Google hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I wonder if this could have anything to do with the price of unlocked phones, a few months ago I looked at buying an unlocked phone and noticed it was almost three times the cost of the same phone if I bought it from any US carrier. It's always been a little higher for unlocked phones but trippling in price seems to be excessive. I was only looking at one model of phone so I don't know if this is the same across the board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12