Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acer AO722 Ubuntu 12 wireless problem - Belkin

Beans

Acer AO722 Ubuntu 12 wireless problem - Belkin

Hello,

First I'd really like to thank you the forum people for great help they've been giving me so far. Although I'm a new member it's simply because all my problems so far have been resolved by simply reading the old threads. Now I have a problem that just puzzles me so I have to ask sb's help. Here it goes:
    The computer is Acer AO722
    System - Ubuntu 12
    Problem - my computer used to access the Internet(sometimes after a long struggle), now it goes as far as veryfying IP. I have tried both Network Manager and Wicd. I've never had any problems with networks not secured by password. I've never had any problems with other routers - it's Belkin that is doing my head in. Another interesting thing - I also have Ubuntu on my other laptop - Lenovo G550 - connects to Belkin wireless - no problems. Lenovo even deals better with Belkin than my PC - Windows 7. I don't want to mess around with wireless settings because, as I already mentioned, wireless works well with unsecured networks. Any idead about what to do with all this? Thanks for help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Acer AO722 Ubuntu 12 wireless problem - Belkin

Hi, copy and paste this command in the terminal (ctrl+alt+t) please:
    Code:
    wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
    It will download a script and create a text file in your home folder with wireless information so we can see the condition of your wireless at this time and the Mac address, WPA key and WEP key are removed for your security, then reply back, click on the paper clip and attach the netinfo.txt file.
    Thanks

Beans

here it is
    Last edited by piotrbb1; February 21st, 2013 at 01:09 PM.

Beans

Ok, sorry, I tried to upload the script instead of the netinfo.txt. Stupid of me.

Here it is.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You have posted the wireless script file in error.

If you do not have a netinfo.txt file yet try the suggetions in this post. http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...58&postcount=8

Thank you.

EDIT Too late.

Beans

So my last reply is OK? Or should I try something else?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

First plug in an ethernet cable (I know it sounds like a silly suggestion, a lot of people forget).

Open a terminal and run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
    Wait 2 minutes and click the Network icon (top-right) for any networks found. If none run
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    Do the wait and check procedure, if nothing unplug the cable and reboot. It should now be working.

Let us know what happens.

Thank you.

Beans

Unfirtunatelly it did not help. I was afraid it wouldn't as right after writing the first command in the terminal it stated that it already exists in my version of the system (12.04)

As for the second command the answer was that it will be ignored from no on.

Beans

What I don't understand is I never once had a problem with the unprotected wireless connections. It's just the protected one, namely Belkin that gives me pains. It keeps asking me the password and either reports bad password or stops at the stage of veryfing IP (Network manager and Wicd). The other computer with Ubuntu (lenovo g550), which connects to Belkin better than a PC with Windows 7 makes it even weirder.

Last time I had this problem using Wicd instead of Network Manager solved it. I can see this time it won't be that easy.

Thank you very much for helping me by the way. I really appreciate it
    Last edited by piotrbb1; February 21st, 2013 at 02:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast