Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot get mouse accel to work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cannot get mouse accel to work

Have you tried other steam/non-steam games to see if it is indeed a steam or engine issue(u can try quake live, urban terror, warsow etc) ?

Anyway i agree, some people like accel, some don't(i don't ), its a matter of preference.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cristo-father View Post
    Have you tried other steam/non-steam games to see if it is indeed a steam or engine issue(u can try quake live, urban terror, warsow etc) ?

Anyway i agree, some people like accel, some don't(i don't ), its a matter of preference.
    Nope, but I will and will post the results here.
     Cloud Gamer | NVIDIA's GeForce NOW is the future of gaming ☁️

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Anathaen View Post
    People, what is so difficult to understand about the fact, that some people actually do use acceleration. I've been using it since forever and here is why:

Acceleration allows me to quickly turn even with low mouse sensitivity, that being said, I am able to aim smooth where I can see, while having the ability to turn tremendously quick thanks to mouse accel even on low mouse sens, which without mouse accel is not possible. In a game, with low mouse sens, before you manage to do a 90° turn, you're dead.

Don't force your "don't use mouse accel" on me! And don't go with any psychology things on me either. Just because many "pro" jerks don't use mouse accel it doesn't mean, that everybody like sheep have to do the same!

No, I don't go with the ratio of trying to achieve mouse movements 1:1. I prefer it something like (on Windows): 1:8, i.e. 1 = game sens, 8 = Windows sens (acceleration). Acceleration is very natural in reality also. When you hold a gun and aim, you aim very smooth to be precise, while, when scouting new areas, you do swift movements, as if accelerated, to have your environment under control. If it was 1:1, you'd turn the same way as you aim, which would make you an easy kill.

I've been playing e.g. Counter-Strike 5 years competitively back in the days and guess what, mouse accel made me one of the most feared gamers in my country, because with it was able to perform with dead-sharp reflexes and all the others didn't use accel. I never forced my setup on them, so everyone should respect mine, hence kindly asking to stick to the topic, ok?

I need mouse accel to work in-game as well, not only the desktop. I like it that way, I use it. I have been for years and I'm not gonna dodge my settings just because someone forces their opinion of "it's better to play without mouse accel" on me.

I've tried playing without it and for me it sucks big time. When I increase mouse speed I can't aim smooth anymore. Not everyone has the same motoric in their hand and increasing mouse sens without accel renders it unstable for me.

The setup I use is the result of reasearch for many years, during which I developed my own, unique technique of playing, just as other gamers look for what suits them best and trust me I've tried playing without mouse accel as well. It simply doesn't work for me.

The mouse I use is a Microsoft Intellipoint Wheelmouse 1.1A, but that is irrelevant, since I can perform the same with about any mouse and I'm used to this one, won't change for another one.

People use different settings and they should be free to do so. No one should be forced other's opinion on them.

In reality you also aim smooth where you can see, but need to be able to turn quick, which makes perfect sense.
    Sheest, pretty aggressive response for someone trying to help.
    Lighten up.
    Good luck with that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    Sheest, pretty aggressive response for someone trying to help.
    Lighten up.
    Good luck with that.
    That wasn't meant to be aggressive. The problem is, whereever I turned to with this problem the only response I got was "don't use accel" and at some point I got the same feeling with the post that was supposed to "help". It was just a firm explanation of the problematic, going into details. Was not meant to attack anybody.

I edited my post for it to seem "less offensive", because it was not meant to be, but I have to admit I was outraged by this part:

"Many guides emphasize on the importance of disabling mouse acceleration in all of the Counter Strike games. What you want is 1:1 movement in game and in your hands, which makes perfect sense if you have read any book about engineering psychology. It should improve your aim to remove acceleration no matter how practiced you are with it, I did, my aim is still the same after some adjustments."

- I don't care about guides that emphasize this or that. It's plain forcing someone to get used to what others use. WHY SHOULD I?! Should I buy Persil instead of Ariel just because some advert in TV says it's better, while I have my own experiences with another appliance?

If people copy one another like trained monkeys and go by the saying: "Hey, since it works for him, it will work for me too!" is plain BS, but ok, I accept their decision and I don't care if they do this sort of monkey business, but not me.

Everyone has the freedom and the right to use what they want / feel most comfortable with. I am not forcing anybody to use accel, so no one should force me not to use it. Period.

Instead of lecturing me what is better for me, which only I know best, let's focus on the topic and get this fixed, shall we?
    Last edited by Inoki; February 27th, 2013 at 01:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I understand your angry and frustrated, but I think you're misinterpreting people's intentions. They aren't telling you to not use accel because they don't want to help you, it's that they can't help you. As far as I know, there isn't a real solution to in-game mouse acceleration yet. Mouse acceleration is built into the display server, and it's not very sophisticated. And Valve's attempt to do a custom software one either isn't working or it just plain sucks.

There is no real solution or workaround yet. The best option is to just not use acceleration and wait until someone comes up with a better option. I know it might not be the answer you want, but these people aren't paid to give you solutions, we all are friends and volunteers in a community and we're just trying to help each other.

I recommend filing some bug reports and contacting the actual software developers about if there's a solution or if they can make a bug fix.

I believe Valve uses their github steam-for-linux account to track issues and bugs in the Steam software and it's games:
    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues

P.S. Have you tried running CS using the Windows version in Wine? From what I hear, TF2 runs nearly as well in Wine as it does natively, and the mouse acceleration might work better in wine too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I heard from someone that uses linux and plays quake, that it indeed works well. So it seems its a CS thing. Anyway i think wine supports accel, so i guess u can try running cs with wine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bölvaður View Post
    Many guides emphasize on the importance of disabling mouse acceleration in all of the Counter Strike games. What you want is 1:1 movement in game and in your hands, which makes perfect sense if you have read any book about engineering psychology. It should improve your aim to remove acceleration no matter how practiced you are with it, I did, my aim is still the same after some adjustments.
    Quote Originally Posted by ripps818 View Post
    I understand your angry and frustrated, but I think you're misinterpreting people's intentions. They aren't telling you to not use accel because they don't want to help you, it's that they can't help you. As far as I know, there isn't a real solution to in-game mouse acceleration yet. Mouse acceleration is built into the display server, and it's not very sophisticated. And Valve's attempt to do a custom software one either isn't working or it just plain sucks.

There is no real solution or workaround yet. The best option is to just not use acceleration and wait until someone comes up with a better option. I know it might not be the answer you want, but these people aren't paid to give you solutions, we all are friends and volunteers in a community and we're just trying to help each other.

I recommend filing some bug reports and contacting the actual software developers about if there's a solution or if they can make a bug fix.

I believe Valve uses their github steam-for-linux account to track issues and bugs in the Steam software and it's games:
    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues

P.S. Have you tried running CS using the Windows version in Wine? From what I hear, TF2 runs nearly as well in Wine as it does natively, and the mouse acceleration might work better in wine too.
    If you check the above post it's clear the good man, although it seems he's trying to help, he's in fact just infuriating me, because that's the same approach I've met everywhere. People just tell you "don't use accel", but that is not what I came here asking for. I turned to this forum for a solution, but it seems this is a VALVe-related issue and their platform, they need to fix this.

I was hoping, that there would be some sort of workaround for this, maybe some talented hackers could help me out.

I've tried running Steam via Wine, but that, to say it bluntly, sucked. I'll just stick to the native client and hope for a fix from VALVe's side. I've already filed a bug report and they know about it. The issue can be tracked here.

Thanks for all the efforts, but this is beyond Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Inoki; February 28th, 2013 at 09:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Don't force your "don't use mouse accel" on me! And don't go with any psychology things on me either. Just because many "pro" jerks don't use mouse accel it doesn't mean, that everybody like sheep have to do the same!
    As someone who has spent a lot of time playing competitive FPS games such as Quake and Counter-Strike, I have to jump on this

There's a reason why pros disable mouse acceleration- it's inaccurate. I'm assuming you're only using it because you are used to it and find it too hard to get used to otherwise. I was the same way for a few years, then I decided to play without mouse accel. After a few days of adjusting I could never go back to using accel. To me, there's just no comparison. The mouse goes where it is supposed to and I don't need to reposition my crosshair because it decided to speed up on me, even if that speed is very slight. Granted, if you just play public/casual servers then do whatever you want.

It's not a matter of people just doing what "pros" do just because they're "pro". They aren't good players because they use those settings, they use those settings because they're good players and know what to do.

Nutshell: If you're serious about FPS games, don't use mouse accel. Acceleration forced you to overshoot your target and readjust.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    As someone who has spent a lot of time playing competitive FPS games such as Quake and Counter-Strike, I have to jump on this

There's a reason why pros disable mouse acceleration- it's inaccurate. I'm assuming you're only using it because you are used to it and find it too hard to get used to otherwise. I was the same way for a few years, then I decided to play without mouse accel. After a few days of adjusting I could never go back to using accel. To me, there's just no comparison. The mouse goes where it is supposed to and I don't need to reposition my crosshair because it decided to speed up on me, even if that speed is very slight. Granted, if you just play public/casual servers then do whatever you want.

It's not a matter of people just doing what "pros" do just because they're "pro". They aren't good players because they use those settings, they use those settings because they're good players and know what to do.

Nutshell: If you're serious about FPS games, don't use mouse accel. Acceleration forced you to overshoot your target and readjust.
    Again, just because you were unable to perform well with it, doesn't mean others cannot handle it.

- inaccurate? Oh I could show you how damn accurate I am with it. Mouse accel actually allows me to operate on different sensitivities. While some prefer to have one sensitivity for everything, which even in reality is illogical, because you don't perform all movements at the same velocity, others utilize the option to operate with different velocities, e.g. the advantage is I can aim smooth where I can see, since when I don't do a swift curve, the mouse accepts the in-game sens, so if that is set to low values, I aim smooth, when I do a quick swing, then accel activates, allowing me to turn even on low sensitivities as if I had just changed my sens only for the sake of turning around.
    - mouse doesn't go where it's supposed to? Then you're doing it wrong. You simply cannot handle accel, just admit your own inability!

Whenever there's a failure at something, only human factor can be blamed. The system on its own doesn't do anything, you control it, and if you cannot control accel, it's your fault. If you dump it and don't see its potential, ok, your choice, but spare me of your lectures. I've heard the same sh*t all over and over and yet people were unable to comprehend how come I was always able to perform that well with accel and I would never turn away from it. So live with it.

If you have nothing better to say regarding the topic, then remain silent.

This topic was opened for a workaround, for technical help, not listening to trash people enforce on people. If I cared about someone's opinion on accel, I'd open a separate thread for it.

As for those, who are convenient with being a copy of a copy: (using settings just because they work out for someone else)

"Stop trying to be everyone else's perfect." In the end, it's not you. You just adopt something because someone else uses it. But why doesn't that surprise me in this consumer's world.

I at least am not ashamed of what I developed over all those years. Anything can be done, even accel mastered.

P.S.:

You know what's ironic? Checking your signature I stumbled upon this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=865750
    It says how preaching is bad, why don't you learn something from your own signature?

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    Let me ask you this: when was the last time this worked to convert you to anything? It just doesn't work with humans. If you try to force the decision on most people, they will reject it. Its great that you love it, but maybe it won't work for someone else, or they are happy with what they have.
    Last edited by Inoki; March 2nd, 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Are you really this worked up over a Counter-Strike post?

Oh I could show you how damn accurate I am with it. Mouse accel actually allows me to operate on different sensitivities. While some prefer to have one sensitivity for everything, which even in reality is illogical, because you don't perform all movements at the same velocity, others utilize the option to operate with different velocities, e.g. the advantage is I can aim smooth where I can see, since when I don't do a swift curve, the mouse accepts the in-game sens, so if that is set to low values, I aim smooth, when I do a quick swing, then accel activates, allowing me to turn even on low sensitivities as if I had just changed my sens only for the sake of turning around.
    That's fine. However having a mouse that speeds up is still inaccurate compared to one that does not, even if you were quite good at controlling it. I'm also not questioning your skill level.

mouse doesn't go where it's supposed to? Then you're doing it wrong. You simply cannot handle accel, just admit your own inability!
    It doesn't go where it's supposed to because it speeds up and (depending on the setup) adds a curve. I handled mouse accel for years without problem and discovered that after adjusting to no accel it was better. I also did not claim to be a high-level player.

This topic was opened for a workaround, for technical help, not listening to trash people enforce on people. If I cared about someone's opinion on accel, I'd open a separate thread for it.
    I don't think anyone here was trash talking, and you did get some answers regarding the mouse accel situation on CS:S in Linux. Hence I posted the mouse accel opinion after it was clear that there's currently no simple solution.

As for those, who are convenient with being a copy of a copy: (using settings just because they work out for someone else) .... In the end, it's not you. You just adopt something because someone else uses it. But why doesn't that surprise me in this consumer's world.
    Get off your high horse. A mouse movement option means you're copying for the sake of convenience? And I set my settings because *I* use them, not because pros do. In almost all games I have play I maintain an extremely default config so that I don't need to rely on obscure settings. Hopefully you are following your own "independence" logic and using HJKL instead of WASD

It says how preaching is bad, why don't you learn something from your own signature?
    I'm not preaching. I stated an opinion (which I believe to be correct) in one post. Hopefully some future CS players who discover this game through Linux (Steam, etc) will find these posts and be able to decide what they think is best.

Relax. It's a PC game.

Edit: try toggling raw input.
    Edit 2: I just went in game and unchecked Raw Input. Mouse acceleration works perfectly fine as long as Raw Input is off. If it does not work for you please file a bug on Steam's GitHub page.
    Last edited by kaldor; March 3rd, 2013 at 01:27 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast