Thread: Cannot get mouse accel to work

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cannot get mouse accel to work

*** Thread can now be closed, a bug report has been filed. ***

Hi all,

am on Ubuntu Studio 12.10 x64 bit with Steam and used to play CS with mouse acceleration. Problem is, I cannot get it to work despite the many options I've tried configuring it in mouse settings. It seems as if it was always off.

If you hop on Windows and compare to Linux, the accel is different. I need to get that same accel to work on Ubuntu.

To clarify a bit more:

When I play with the settings and adjust them accordingly, the accel can be felt on the desktop, but not under Steam. There it works the same way as before. As if it was turned off. I tried, during a game, to adjust to my liking, on the desktop the mouse goes like crazy, in the game as if accel was turned off.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Anathaen; March 3rd, 2013 at 02:08 PM.

Beans

Re: Cannot get mouse accel to work

Open up both your mouse settings and dconf-editor @ org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.mouse
    and try some different settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

These are the settings in xfconf:

Can someone tell me what are the highest accepted values for accel?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Or could someone give me a good tip on a DE that has the best management of peripherals? I.e. I'd need to get my mouse accel properly working. I need it to be real speedy, since I've always used mouse accel in games.

On the desktop the acceleration works, the mouse is blazing fast, but under Steam no, as if it was turned off.

Update:

Running Ubuntu Main now and it's the same. Accel works on desktop, not under Steam.
    Last edited by Anathaen; February 25th, 2013 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The mouse acceleration in XFCE4 just ruins some games, and it seems that it's impossible to disable it entirely via configuration. So, I just run a command at login that basically disables all mouse acceleration. Even outside of games, I think it works better without acceleration too.

Code:
    xset m 1/1 4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ripps818 View Post
    The mouse acceleration in XFCE4 just ruins some games, and it seems that it's impossible to disable it entirely via configuration. So, I just run a command at login that basically disables all mouse acceleration. Even outside of games, I think it works better without acceleration too.

Code:
    xset m 1/1 4
    You didn't get me. I need to get it to work, not disable.

Some people actually rely on acceleration. I'm one of them. I need it like salt in a soup.
    Last edited by Anathaen; February 26th, 2013 at 11:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yer, next time, when you feel like posting an opinion, don't. No one is interested.

This thread was started to receive technical support. If I wanted to hear someone's opinion I would have asked for it.

I kindly ask a mod to close this thread, as it is no longer needed. A bug report has officialy been filed to VALVe and they are aware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I will admit it was a little distressing to see an actual flame war on this forum.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    I will admit it was a little distressing to see an actual flame war on this forum.
    That's because people don't stick to the topic. No one asked them for an opinion, I asked for a technical remedy to the issue, yet they go on with their babble no one cares about.