Thread: python classes

python classes

Hi guys, here is the code that i am working on today:

class Song(object):
    #creates a new class of Song that has an object argument
    		def __init__(self, lyrics):
    		#for now just understand that this needs to be in the class
    			self.lyrics = lyrics
    		#self is an empty object, that python creates for modification.
    		def sing_me_a_song(self):
    			#just a function definition.  Notice how self is in the argument placeholder.
    			for line in self.lyrics:
    				#creates a loop 
    				print line
    happy_bday = Song(["Happy birthday to you",
    					"I don't want to get sued",
    					"So I'll stop right there"])
    bulls_on_parade = Song(["They rally around the family",
    						"With pockets full of shells"])
    Im just confused on the whole __init__ and 'self' thing. Could someone break it down for me or point me in the right direction to understand it? I'm learning it from

Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: python classes

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut2626 View Post
    Hi guys, here is the code that i am working on today:

class Song(object):
    #creates a new class of Song that has an object argument
    .... code snipped
    Im just confused on the whole __init__ and 'self' thing. Could someone break it down for me or point me in the right direction to understand it? I'm learning it from
    ok - in basic terms - __init__ is the initialiser - if it exists for a class it is called immediately after an instance is created to allow the programmer to initialise the object - set some attributes to some initial values - etc. The __init__ method does not return anything so if you encounter errors then your code will need to handle the error or raise and exception.

self is a special varible (in fact it is just a special name) which refes to the specific instance of that class. What this means in practice is that your code can ceate multiple instances of the same class - and when you call a method on an object, the self argument which is passed to to the method is reference to the object.

class a(object):
        def __init__(self, initial):
            self.a = initial
            print id(self)
        def method1(self, value):
            print id(self)
            self.a = self.a + value
    # Create an instances of a
    o1 = a(15)
    # This should be the same id as printed from __init__
    print id(o1) 
    # Create a second instance
    o2 = a(5) 
    # This should be the same id as printed from __init__
    print id(o2)
    # See what the initialiser did
    print o1.a, o2.a # should print 15 and 5
    print o1.a, o2.a # should print 20 and 5
    The above code demonstrates that each time you create a new object (in my case by calling a(<somevalue) ), it creates a new object with a new id.

the __init__ function, and all other methods defined on your class, are passed the object id as the first parameter (and it is strong convention that this parameter is called self), which means that everytime you use self.<something> within your methods you are refering to an attribute on that specific instance - meaning you can have hundreds of objects each with their own value of "a" attribute, or in your case, hundreds of song objects each with their own lyrics.

I hope that helps
    Last edited by Tony Flury; February 21st, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
    Tony - Happy to try to help.
    Unless otherwise stated - all code posted by me is untested. Remember to Mark the Thread as Solved.
    Ubuntu user number # 24044 Projects : TimeWarp - on the fly Backups

Lightbulb Re: python classes

I try my best to answer your queston:

1. Assume Song is your class name

2. Firstly, you have to create a new instance(can have many)(or you can said it a clone) in order to work with this class. Create instance also means initializing class.

3. __init__ method would process compulsory when you create instance. In your example, it would do self.lyrics = lyrics.

4. What does self.lyrics = lyrics means? I prefer explain by python comments,

def __init__(self, lyrics):
                            print lyrics #the lyrics is local variable, use inside __init__ method only!!!
    			self.lyrics2 = lyrics #self.lyrics2 is global variable inside this class, not outside of class
                    #Call by your example, happy_bday.print_lyrics()
                    def print_lyrics(self):
                        print lyrics #i would error!
                        print self.lyrics2 #it works!
    Another important conceptual is global, means you can access the variable outside AND inside the class.

class Song(object):
    	def __init__(self, lyrics_list):
    		global global_lyrics_list 
    		global_lyrics_list = lyrics_list
    		print "## print global_lyrics_list1: ", global_lyrics_list #it works inside same method of this class!
    		self.instance_lyrics_list = global_lyrics_list
    	def sing_me_a_song(self):
    		for line in self.instance_lyrics_list:
    			print line
    	def print_lyrics(self):
    	    print "## print global_lyrics_list2: ", global_lyrics_list #it works inside different method of this class!
    	    print self.instance_lyrics_list #it works inside different method of this class!
    happy_bday = Song(["Happy birthday to you", "I don't want to get sued",])
    print "## print global_lyrics_list3: ", global_lyrics_list #it works outside the class!
    #One important thing, you see both "global global_lyrics_list "and "global_lyrics_list = lyrics_list" inside __init__() method or not? If you didn't declare the variable as global(means global global_lyrics_list), AND you already put global_lyrics_list outside of the class as global(default is global if outside of the class), you would unable to do assignment like "global_lyrics_list = lyrics_list"

When to use globals or self. is depends on your needs. Normally, if you want to change the value of variable, you using self.. However, there still some cases i prefer using global. Such as pass the variables from main python file, you may using print_lyris = sys.modules['__main__'].print_lyris, then print_lyris(global) method can access anyway inside child files.

Another example is:

global_lyrics_list = ["Happy birthday to you", "I don't want to get sued",]
    class Song(object):
            instance_lyrics_list = global_lyrics_list
            number_example = 123 #same effect as self.number_example = 123 inside __init__()
    	def __init__(self):
    	def print_lyrics(self):
    	    print self.instance_lyrics_list #it works!
                print self.number_example #it works!
    happy_bday = Song()
    One more thing, valueA = sys.modules['__main__'].valueA is global, and global is hard to control the variable if you need to change/manipulate the value. If you assign valueA=5 on child file, it didn't guarantee parent file's valueA would synchronize change to 5. So you may try pass self as arguments to other file.

Example your file,

class SONG:
            refresh = False
            def sing(self):
                print self.refresh
    	def print_lyrics(self):
    	    import hallo2
                other_file_class = hallo2.videos()
      "my name is limkokhole", startindex=1, clon=self)
                #put args before kwargs #self should pass as last argument(i forgot the reason why)
    s = SONG()
    Inside other file,

class videos:
        def yahoo(self, my_name, startindex=0, clon=None):
            if clon is not None:
                clon.refresh = True
                clon.sing() #it would print True if run
    it would print True if run

Now you should know self is so important on production(got many files and many developers). Understand global also would give you big picture compare with self.

Last edited by limkokhole; February 21st, 2013 at 06:24 PM.