Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I move the Unity Dock?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Can I move the Unity Dock?

Hello, everyone.

I am sure that this question has an obvious answer, but I cannot seem to find it right now.

My wife would like to have her Unity dock positioned at the bottom of the screen, rather than on the side. Is there some way to change this?

Thanks for any input.

Take care.
    Proud visually impaired user of Ubuntu.
    Member of the Ubuntu Accessibility Team
    Registered Linux User #423082

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can I move the Unity Dock?

As far as I know not yet. Maybe in 11.10. If you install ccsm you can hide it.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you do succeed in hiding it (I've had my problems with ccsm in 11.04) she can install Docky and have her launchers at the bottom.
    Give me a stable operating system, and I will make it unstable

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

you can't move the unity launcher, nor will you be able to in oneiric. Its against the design, apparently.
    "Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RKCole View Post
    Hello, everyone.

I am sure that this question has an obvious answer, but I cannot seem to find it right now.

My wife would like to have her Unity dock positioned at the bottom of the screen, rather than on the side. Is there some way to change this?

Thanks for any input.

Take care.
    No , you can not.

Mark Shuttleworth explains why not: -

“I’m afraid the location of the Unity launcher is fixed by design. We want the launcher always close to the Ubuntu button.”

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

“I’m afraid the location of the Unity launcher is fixed by design. We want the launcher always close to the Ubuntu button.”
    Make the ubuntu button a part of launcher not a part of top panel - problem solved. Or have both panel applet and launcher item invoking the dash and let user configure which one to use. It's not an insolvable problem, unless there is no will to tackle it.

seriously, this whole 'these are not the features you are looking for' approach shown by the ubuntu team is troublesome. I don't have anything against trying new stuff, but hardcoding everything against the wishes of users? Ubu team should create a set of defaults according to their vision but also should let the users decide even at the expense of consistency.

Beans

Sooo... Ubuntu button moved in 11.10

Beans

Just installed Natty and moving the launcher is the first thing I searched for. The location is fine on a desktop monitor but at home I use my wall mounted TV as a monitor so it would be much more convenient to have it on the bottom.

I would also never use the top Ubuntu button since it's nearly identical to the Applications button in the launcher. I would also like to see an "All Applications" button more conveniently located.

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Can I move the Unity Dock?

Quote Originally Posted by tava0002 View Post
    Just installed Natty and moving the launcher is the first thing I searched for. The location is fine on a desktop monitor but at home I use my wall mounted TV as a monitor so it would be much more convenient to have it on the bottom.

I would also never use the top Ubuntu button since it's nearly identical to the Applications button in the launcher. I would also like to see an "All Applications" button more conveniently located.
    +1, and as I reported on Launchpad, if your browser, for example, is full screen, the ubuntu button is now the first thing on the left hand side of the screen instead of the windowing buttons for close, minimize and window/full screen. This also goes against what has been a defacto standard - if the windowing buttons are on the left they are on the very left, just it has always worked for buttons on the right.

That's just my 2-cents worth.

Dave

Beans

Wink Re: Can I move the Unity Dock?

but you can remove the application and files button, change the size and put in on auto hide.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast