Thread: steam - Weird lag problem on Killing Floor & Counter Strike

Beans

steam - Weird lag problem on Killing Floor & Counter Strike

Well I have an odd problem that seems to occur in Killing Floor and Counter Strike (these are the only games I can play on Linux, so I can't test it on any other games). The problem is, whenever I start a game/join a server, I get extremely bad lag, but before I start it, when I'm in the menu, etc... it runs fast and smooth. Now here's the weird part, once I leave the game/server and go back to the menu, it lags just as bad as it did in the game. I've fixed the problem on Counter Strike (non-source), but adding these launch parameters
    Code:
    -dxlevel 71 -no3d9ex -windowed
    , I'm not sure that the dx parameters work, because it didn't start working correctly until I started it in Windowed mode. I've tried these same parameters with Killing Floor, but it didn't work.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem or have experienced it themselves?

Hardware:
    Athlon 64 3800+
    1.75GB DDR RAM
    GeForce 7300 LE
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit

Beans

Thumbs down Re: steam - Weird lag problem on Killing Floor & Counter Strike

This may be a dumb question but are you running the Linux version of Steam or are you running a version in Wine? Both of those games will run on Steam for Linux without any issues. I have played them both.

Beans

Re: steam - Weird lag problem on Killing Floor & Counter Strike

Quote Originally Posted by r00st3r3 View Post
    This may be a dumb question but are you running the Linux version of Steam or are you running a version in Wine? Both of those games will run on Steam for Linux without any issues. I have played them both.

I've tried both the Wine and Linux version. Thinking it's a hardware compatibility issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: steam - Weird lag problem on Killing Floor & Counter Strike

Don't know if it's related, but try running it in native resolution.

When I first installed Killing Floor it started up in 800x600 resolution. One would think that that would make it blazingly fast at an, albeit, decreased quality. I ran like cold molasses uphill, though. Changed the resolution to 1920x1080 and it ran like a dream.

Generally that seems to be the case with games under Unity for me. It's either native fullscreen res, or windowed lesser. Fullscreen decreased res is asking for problems.
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal