Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Mark Shuttleworth says users can easily disable Amazon ads in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Mark Shuttleworth says users can easily disable Amazon ads in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I'd suggest using Debian stable
    Actually, an Ubuntu user would fell more at home with Debian Sid. But not a bad advise at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Ubuntu isn't what your organization needs, as it is purposely designed to be easy to use, and with the features that the average user wants. I'd suggest using Debian stable, as most of what you have learned using Ubuntu is easily transferable, and another advantage is that Debian doesn't provide any closed source binaries itself, so there is one less thing to worry about.
    I switched from Ubuntu 10.4 to Debian 6 with backports. Extremely happy with Debian on older hardware. And yes, absolutely for the purposes of this non-profit, Debian is great. With newer hardware, I tried Fedora 16 with Gnome 3 and now cruising along with F18 Gnome 3. So I have found comfort in returning to Fedora - Red Hat Linux, I started out on Red Hat Linux, Yellow Dog Linux.

Ubuntu is a friendly Linux distro to use. I think there are better ways to grow Canonical than data mining through Ubuntu Unity. I hope this path does not cause long term damage to Ubuntu. But at the end of the day, maybe Canonical can carve out some earnings following the trail of Microsoft and Apple. Again though, I think this is massive wreckage of a good Linux distro

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
    Again though, I think this is massive wreckage of a good Linux distro
    Maybe, maybe not. I don't know, still seems like a very good distro to me. It's still kinda like with any other distro, there are some things I like, some things I don't like; with any of 'em, when I do an installation, I tweak it a little bit (or a lot, depending) to suit my wishes/needs. So one of the "tweaks" in Ubuntu would be to turn off the Amazon stuff. About as painless as switching to your favorite desktop background.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Two simple "off buttons" to hit in privacy to make it non-amazon and your ubuntu is "un-wrecked" (to use your terminology....lol)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910