Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recovering from NTFS disk with TestDisk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Recovering from NTFS disk with TestDisk

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    So, I stayed with the Runtime products (which I had to pay for) rather than going back to TestDisk and PhotoRec.
    ..and there's no need to look back as long as the current one can do all you need. But if you ever get suspicious that it is loosing something, I recommend you try PhotoRec once more before giving up.

I myself tried GDB first simply because I trusted it more.

I don't fully understand how these software work, but one reason why PhotoRec is faster maybe because it doesn't attempt to build directory trees or retain filenames. It simply dumps everything it finds within the given scope in one sweep.

A disadvantage in terms of filenames/directory-structure, but a definite advantage in terms of speed of recovery.

I still can't explain or even understand why GDB dropped files that Photorec easily recovered. All I know is that GDB has more than twice failed to recover all files / correct partitions, while Testdisk & photorec have so far never failed me. And they are very quick at whatever they do.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

Thanks for all your help. I'll try to clone the disk with Clonezilla then see if I can't just make the partition active -- if it will let me with the size error it gave me. I'm not sure how to get around that if I'm stuck. I could try

I'm fairly sure it's primary, it contains the Windows folder and as far as I know (I could be wrong now) Windows must boot from a primary partition.

I'm not sure how I should be interpreting the numbers in TestDisk, but I think that the first partition listed isn't really a partition. It contains no files and won't respond in XP. I think it was an artifact of letting the recovery disk attempt to repair things before getting a bit more serious in my recovery efforts.

If TestDisk won't write the new partition, I guess I'll try the old Norton disk on the copy; I can recreate the copy later if it destroys everything.

I'll try that new program if everything else fails... maybe I can get my friend to buy it as payment for the work (and returning her data on my spare drive).

Beans

If the HDD does not have bad sectors them clonezill is fine, else i would suggest gnu ddrescue

Beans

This is where I'm stopped at... It took a minute to find a screenshot tool on the disc. I'm downloading Clonezilla live CD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    ..Although yours looks to me a Logical one.
    I must admit I didn't look at the outputs thorougly earlier. Now it seems more like a Primary partition to me.

Earlier, I was only considering the fact that it starts on a non-zero head (32). But now I notice two other facts (thanks to the more complete screenshot) which are more important -

First, it also starts at cylinder 0, which, if written clearly makes it a Primary partition.
    Second, if created, the second partition in the screenshot is the only partition on that disk since it occupies almost all of the disk. So if you can confirm there was only a single 'windows' partition on the disk, I think we are good to proceed with making it P(rimary) > write the structure.

Once the correct mode is set for the partition, press Enter > select Write > Enter > y > Ok > quit testdisk and see if the partition has returned.
    To understand it yourself (if you haven't already), here's what is noticible -
    1) The entire disk has 30402 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors (CHS = 30402 255 63)

2) The second partition in the list starts at the very first cylinder (0) and ends at almost the last one (30401)

3) The size of the partition also confirms that it is the only partition on the disk. The size in sectors (488392704), when converted to GiB gives 232.883789062 GiB = the total disk size.
    With sector size = 512 bytes,
    488392704 x 512 = 250057064448 bytes (/1024) = 244196352 KiB (/1024) = 238473 MiB (/1024) = 232.88 GiB

Sorry for the slight confusion earlier, guess I was too tired to focus
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    To understand it yourself (if you haven't already), here's what is noticible -
    1) The entire disk has 30402 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors (CHS = 30402 255 63)

2) The second partition in the list starts at the very first cylinder (0) and ends at almost the last one (30401)

3) The size of the partition also confirms that it is the only partition on the disk. The size in sectors (488392704), when converted to GiB gives 232.883789062 GiB = the total disk size.
    With sector size = 512 bytes,
    488392704 x 512 = 250057064448 bytes (/1024) = 244196352 KiB (/1024) = 238473 MiB (/1024) = 232.88 GiB
    Thanks, that makes all the sense in the world. I have it copying in Clonezilla, using "q1" which I believe will do a sector-by-sector copy of the disk using "dd".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12