Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Create Ubuntu 13.04 Startup Disk

Beans

Re: Cannot Create Ubuntu 13.04 Startup Disk

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I had Maveric, Raring, Precise and Quantal all on the same drive.
    64-Bit Ubuntu 12.04 (NEVER buy an HP laptop)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have one machine with a 500GB SATA (no windows) with 4 partitions at about 120GB per partition. I am about to back up all my important work files and reformat because I upgraded the BIOS and now have some issues with installing certain filesystems.

I had Maveric, Raring, Precise and Quantal all on the same drive.

Actually I had to belay the above as I discovered it was yet something else. So all is working well here now.

To answer your question specifically, I would use about 110GBs for a Raring Partition.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans

Actually I had to belay the above as I discovered it was yet something else. So all is working well here now.

To answer your question specifically, I would use about 110GBs for a Raring Partition.
    Is that so it has it's own home folder? I never knew a Ubuntu distro to take up so much space without personal files. Right now I'm using 12.10 with a separate home partition. 12.10 is using about 5.8gb in a 140gb partition and my /home partition is using 180gb.

Could I do the following without issues: Resize my 12.10 partition to 20gb and create a 20gb partition for 13.04 while having them share the /home partition of 300gb?

That way I don't need to touch my personal files while I'm testing 13.04 and I'll be able to use 13.04beta in the same way I use my stable OS for work (at the same time providing a safety net in case 13.04 breaks).

I figure using 13.04 (like normal) and reporting any bugs that come along is the best way for me to contribute. Will 13.04 'break' my home partition or render 12.10 unable to use the /home partition?
    64-Bit Ubuntu 12.04 (NEVER buy an HP laptop)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Simeo View Post
    Is that so it has it's own home folder? I never knew a Ubuntu distro to take up so much space without personal files. Right now I'm using 12.10 with a separate home partition. 12.10 is using about 5.8gb in a 140gb partition and my /home partition is using 180gb.

Could I do the following without issues: Resize my 12.10 partition to 20gb and create a 20gb partition for 13.04 while having them share the /home partition of 300gb?

That way I don't need to touch my personal files while I'm testing 13.04 and I'll be able to use 13.04beta in the same way I use my stable OS for work (at the same time providing a safety net in case 13.04 breaks).

I figure using 13.04 (like normal) and reporting any bugs that come along is the best way for me to contribute. Will 13.04 'break' my home partition or render 12.10 unable to use the /home partition?
    There would most likely be issues (in my opinion ) if you did it that way. The best way to install raring is to do a side by side (resize). I mean I haven't tried it the way you have it suggested. Resizing the partition can be touchy and finicky. Most often I use a lot of space. I have a laptop with a 120GB SATA and I made small partitions on that and I ran into some difficulties in the sense that it takes a little more time to organize partitons if you intend on delelting partitons in the future.

It seems to me that you are intent on keeping your Windows 7 in tact. Partitoning a drive with a development release *could* bork your system. For the most part Ubuntu is rock solid and there is not much to worry about .. but there is always the chance.

As long as I leave ample space for partitions I have not had a problem. So I would just allow the partitioner to split by default the 140 to approximately 70 GBs or there abouts for the quantal install and the raring install and raring will also create it's own Home directory and it you want to mount your quantal home then nautilus will allow you to do that easily with both quantal and Windows 7.
    Last edited by ventrical; February 20th, 2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: sp .. Ubutnu to Ubuntu :) lol
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans

Seems now everyone is having different problems while this works for majority, other things work. I am stuck with the exact same issue, tried with Discard on shutdown, same result. The tool copies the files over my 2Gb USB stick then dies with the unexpected error. Seems I would have to install 12.10 then dist-upgrade to 13.04, but my goal is to perform a clean install of 13.04 to iron out other issues. Other than that, the only remaining options iis to remaster the ISO to trim it down to a CD-R (seems a LOT of work!) or set up a network install (seems a lot of work as well). So I need to find some place to order a USB stick with Ubuntu 13.04 and wait weeks to get it. Better off trying out another Linux distribution then.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    I believe you can create a startup stick with recent Ubuntu images purely by using dd to transfer the iso image to the stick. Apparently, this is made possible by some fancy dual-format voodoo magic. It worked for me after I found that the startup disk creator kept crashing.
    Yes, Ubuntu now uses "Hybrid" ISO files, so the dd command will work:
    [Replace sdb with your usb flash device location]
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/path/to/file.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
    Use the 'dd' command with the up most caution.
    Last edited by VMC; July 13th, 2013 at 04:33 PM.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans

Figured out SDC was not picking up the right ISO after I chose it from the Other button. I managed to get it to pick the Ubuntu 13.04 ISO, the creation process went further but crashed again. Seems I have to limit myself to virtual machines or tackle the network-based install. No regular user will attempt such convoluted process. This just makes no sens to package a Linux distro requiring so much fiddling around to install. I hope 13.10 will at least trim down the ISO size to 700Mb. Any variant of Ubuntu with such an ISO file? Booting up from a CD is slower but at least it works.

Beans

The dd command did the trick. Of course I double-checked my target device to not overwrite one of my partitions. I am now booted to the live USB. Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

We're now well into the 13.10 dev cycle.

Thread moved to General Help from the U+1 forum.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Simeo View Post
    ...Should I use a live usb or is there another way to install 13.04? I'll be setting it up separately from my 12.10 install using a home partition so I could default to 12.10 if a problem occurs.
    I boot the development test iso's directly from the hard disk.
    zsync the .iso and put it into the first directory of a partition.
    Example below uses partition 6 on the boot hard drive
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    menuentry "saucy64 13.10" {
    set isofile="/saucy-desktop-amd64.iso"
    loopback loop (hd0,6)$isofile 
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz.efi boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }
    save
    exit
    sudo chmod 777 /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    sudo update-grub
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda            (whatever /dev/sd? you boot from)
    sudo reboot
    Faster for me than creating a USB. Of course, does not test the ability/inability of whatever ubuntu you're using to create a USB.
    Sometimes it's /casper/vmlinuz.efi and sometimes it's /casper/vmlinuz. With file manager select the .iso, which may allow you to browse the .iso to see which vmlinuz it is.

After rebooting, the grub entry you just made with 40_custom should be on the bottom.
    Select & see if it boots....
    Play with the live image if you wish.
    Then
    Ctrl-Alt-t
    to get a terminal session
    df
    to see which /dev is the isodevice, no surprise in this case /dev/sdb6
    sudo umount -rl /dev/sdb6
    exit the terminal session if you wish
    open the install.

A bit long winded to read about after doing this a bunch of times I usually remember everything...

Note, I'm testing saucy on a USB hard drive, an SSD.
    The pc is set up to boot on the USB so during boot grub thinks the USB is /dev/sda
    After boot, file manager, gparted, and install show it as /dev/sdb
    Go figure.
    BTW, if you intend to boot off a USB hard drive like I do, watch that install puts the boot image on /dev/sdb. Whatever your setup is.
    Also you can have multiple 40_custom entries for multiple .iso's. Repeat and modify everything from menuentry to the final }

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast