Thread: Nvidia drivers gone after update

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Nvidia drivers gone after update

On this machine I run 12.04.2 LTS, 64-bit Xubuntu.

Weird thing happened when the system updated today. I do this en-passent, as it were, and today seemed another routine update. I revised the list of items - kernel image and related files, so I updated as usual. After reboot, however, the Nvidia drivers were gone. I tried installing the 'post-release updates' version but this failed, so I installed the '**experimental** beta-310' version which up to now works fine.

I'm good allright, but worry a bit about this whole 'beta' and 'experimental' bit. Has anyone else had this? Any idea why I can't download/install the 'post-release upgrades' version?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Nvidia drivers gone after update

HI1, texpat,

If you are using a clean install of 12.04.2, not an update, with the 3.5 Quantal kernal, some programs are not compatible with the Xorg and linux -lts-quantal files.

I had exactly the same problem, except I tried to install the 'post-release updates' version of nvidia from Synaptic and - luckily - it gave me a warning that lots of the 'lts-quantal' and 'backports' files would be un-installed.

So I used the nvidia.com Downloads to install 304.51 which I knew was reliable and stable with all my equipment.

Steam is also one of the programs affected.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro

Not sure about the "clean install". This computer has only ever had 12.04 LTS installed, but has received its updates regularly. Kernel version is 3.2.0-38-generic (as per uname -r).

I'll give the drivers on the Nvidia site a shot, though.

Thanks for the info

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, texpat,

If it had been a 'clean install'of 12.04.2, and not an update, 'uname -r' would have returned: "3.5.0-24 xxx", as it does not, what I Posted does not apply.

In your place I would try the nvidia-experimental-304 driver from Additional Drivers, first, unless you are already familiar with installing an Nvidia.com Download driver.

But steer clear of the 310 version.

If you still have problems, please Post:
    Code:
     lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 vga
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans
    Distro

Hi bogan,

so far the 310 drivers are working well, but guess I'll follow your advice and install the 304 ones. Seems safer in the long run.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, texpat,

I am a great believer in the Ford motto of; " If it aint broke, don't fix it", so if 310 is working for you.....x.

I have 310 working on one OS without problems, and have no personal experience of any. I think it probably depends on which GPU is in use. Certainly it is inadviseable for any GPU prior to GeForce 7xxx.

I was passing on what I have read in other posts, a warning from nvidia, and advice from MAFoElffen, for whom I have the greatest regard in these matters.

Chao!, bogan.

Beans
    Distro

I ran some benchmarks (among others GpuTest from geeks3d) and graphics apps and all went fine, so I guess it'll be OK to stick with what works.