Thread: How to: wine+winetricks+e-sword=installation

Beans

Cool How to: wine+winetricks+e-sword=installation

How To install E-Sword on Ubuntu 12.04.
    I have searched for weeks off and on to find a simple to follow walk-through on how to install E-Sword 10.1 with Wine1.5 onto Ubuntu 12.04.

I am appealing to someone to show me where such a walkthrough exists, or could someone write one based on the instruction I have found below. I have a fresh install of UbuntuCe 12.04, fully updated through terminal and synaptic, and the lastest Wine 1.5 and Winetricks. I have played with it and with the instructions and can't get it to do anything as it requires the learning of a computer script language and use of the wine interface, neither of which are intuitive, but promise to do a good job.

on winehq and biblesupport.com, they mention the following:

"this is what I do before installing e-sword. These instructions are for Kubuntu, but should work for other Ubuntu variations.

Set oleaut32 to builtin in winecfg

In winetricks install

msls31
    msxml3 *
    vbrun6
    vcrun6
    wsh57

Once these are installed you can install E-sword and it should work.

* To install msxml3 winetricks will open an MS download site where you can get the file. Once downloaded put it in: home/user-name/.cache/winetricks/msxml3

To find the .cache type ctl-h while in your home dir to show the hidden files. You my have to reselect the files to have winetricks install them"

I need really simple steps explained. I know how to open and use terminal, and open directory from the home folder, but I do not know many commands. what are the steps broken down? I believe there are hundreds of people like me wanting to use this program, but needing help.

Thankyou,
    Roger

Beans

Exclamation Re: How to: wine+winetricks+e-sword=installation

Example:
    What does the first step mean:
    Set oleaut32 to builtin in winecfg

How do you do that?
    Roger

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to: wine+winetricks+e-sword=installation

its a plug & pray app

its known to be badly supported against wine:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=70800

but why not simply instal bibletime, with use sword libraries ?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install bibletime

offgridguy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Are you using Ubuntu CE ? I believe bibletime is installed by default in UCE.

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07438
    Last edited by offgridguy; February 19th, 2013 at 03:53 PM.

Beans

1. Install PlayOnLinux http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html
    2. run PlayOnLinux. Tools / Run a local script : launch this script esword_v2.sh

During the process don't install Mono and Gecko ...
    Last edited by guyr34; February 19th, 2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: New version of the script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There are two sections of this forum that might interest you

Ubuntu Christian Edition

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168

Wine

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=313
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by guyr34 View Post
    1. Install PlayOnLinux http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html
    2. run PlayOnLinux. Tools / Run a local script : launch this script esword_v2.sh

During the process don't install Mono and Gecko ...
    Hi Guy,

I installed Playon Linux and it seems to run e-swordreally well - such a relief! However, I get this error on start up: "PlayOnLinux cannot find 7z (from P7ZIP full).
    You should install it to use PlayOnLinux"

I noticed also it installed Wine 1.5 during set up. I already had 1.4 installed. Should I (how can I) remove Wine 1.4? I have Synaptics but am unsure which (or even if) I should remove one of my Wine installations.

Thanks

David

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rogermana View Post
    I need really simple steps explained. I know how to open and use terminal, and open directory from the home folder, but I do not know many commands. what are the steps broken down? I believe there are hundreds of people like me wanting to use this program, but needing help.
    Roger,
    I was in the same boat you were in, not understanding what this set of instructions ment. I'm running Ubuntu 12.10, so I went to the Ubuntu Software Center and installed PlayOnLinux after I had installed Wine.

1. After I installed POL, I opened it up and clicked "Install", then "Install a non-listed program", and next.
    2. I selected the option "Install a program in a new virtual drive", and made up a name, and clicked next, next.
    3. It asked me for an install file, so I navigated to the downloads where I had put E-sword 10.10. From there it just put me through all the prompts of installation. I created a link on the desktop and tested it, but it still didn't have the search functions, so then I
    4. Pushed "Configure" in PlayOnLinux, then on the "Install packages" tab, and found each of the packages and clicked Install: msls31, msxml3, vbrun6, vcrun6 and wsh57.
    5. Then in the "Wine" tab, I clicked "Configure Wine" and then the "Libraries" tab. In the dropdown for "New override for library" I found the thing called oleaut32, clicked it, and then clicked "Add". Then I clicked "Apply".
    6. Opening the shortcut I created on my desktop brought up E-sword and the search worked!

I still don't know how to do all that directly in wine, but I hope this is a help to newer Ubuntu users like myself that really, really, really badly want to use E-Sword 10.10 in Ubuntu 12.10.

For the faith of the gospel,
    Peter

Beans

I forgot that I also installed 7zip from the Ubuntu Software Center after installing POL so that the popup message wouldn't come up again.