Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VOB to single MPEG file (uncompressed) - how?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: VOB to single MPEG file (uncompressed) - how?

Thank you all for valuable tips

I'm reading and learning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

+1 to andrew.46's recommendation to upgrade to a more recent version; ffmpeg & avconv both have very rapid development times, so bugs (maybe even including this problem with A/V sync in those VOBs) are frequently fixed in newer versions that those in the repos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Great to hear that it has all worked out for you . If you are really keen on FFmpeg perhaps look up FakeOutdoorsman's wiki page some time soon, grab a recent version of FFmpeg and delve a little deeper into a truly amazing commandline application...
    Do you have a link?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MrsUser View Post
    Do you have a link?
    The FFmpeg Community Contributed Documentation Wiki contains all sorts of guides and examples to supplement the official FFmpeg documentation in a more user-friendly and step-by-step format.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    The FFmpeg Community Contributed Documentation Wiki contains all sorts of guides and examples to supplement the official FFmpeg documentation in a more user-friendly and step-by-step format.
    Thanks! It's a great guide. Just what I need. I really like how efficient the results are with the command line. I wouldn't use it for stuff like cropping though, but for basic transcoding it's very straightforward and fast.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MrsUser View Post
    I really like how efficient the results are with the command line. I wouldn't use it for stuff like cropping though
    Cropping via command line is easy once you try it a few times, and you can use ffplay to get a quick preview. Imagine this input is 640x480 and I want to remove 40 pixels: 20 from the top and 20 from the bottom to make an output of 640x440:

Code:
    ffplay -i input -vf crop=iw:ih-40
    Is same as:
    Code:
    ffplay -i input -vf crop=640:480-40
    Is same as:
    Code:
    ffplay -i input -vf crop=640:440
    Then you can use ffmpeg to crop and re-encode the video and copy the audio stream since you don't need to process it which can preserve quality and is faster than encoding:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input -vf crop=iw:ih-40 -codec:v libx264 -crf 23 -preset medium -codec:a copy output.mkv
    See the filtering introduction and crop documentation for more examples.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12