Thread: Different terminal for Nautilus' "open in terminal"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Different terminal for Nautilus' "open in terminal"

When using Nautilus (3.4.2 in 12.04), in the file menu, there is "Open in Terminal" which opens a terminal using the currently displayed directory as the working directory. I use this feature a lot, but I don't like that it opens in gnome-terminal. I'd rather have it open in terminator, but I can't seem to find any way to change it.

Nautilus preferences has no settings for it. "System settings...details...default applications" has no entry for terminal emulators. exo-preferred-applications does have such an entry, but it seems to have no effect on Nautilus.

Where can I change this?

--chriscrutch

Beans

Re: Different terminal for Nautilus' "open in terminal"

If you can't find a way (open in terminal is a nautilus extension & only editable in it's source), then you could create a nautilus action. (sudo apt-get install nautilus-actions
    screens show command & mimetype settings windows, for mime you type in & press enter while focus is on what you typed
    The command parameter line is -
    Code:
    --working-directory=%f
    edit: preferred here to open nautilus-actions Preferences menu & disable the 2 menu layout options so actions show directly in context menu & not in sub-menu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; February 19th, 2013 at 03:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by chriscrutch View Post
    When using Nautilus (3.4.2 in 12.04), in the file menu, there is "Open in Terminal" which opens a terminal using the currently displayed directory as the working directory. I use this feature a lot, but I don't like that it opens in gnome-terminal. I'd rather have it open in terminator, but I can't seem to find any way to change it.

Nautilus preferences has no settings for it. "System settings...details...default applications" has no entry for terminal emulators. exo-preferred-applications does have such an entry, but it seems to have no effect on Nautilus.

Where can I change this?
    Try changing this key in Applications-System Tools-Configuration Editor:

Code:
    /desktop/gnome/applications/terminal/exec
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Thanks for thinking about this.

mc4man, that certainly works, but it adds some complexity that I'm trying to avoid.

dcstar, I didn't have gconf-editor on my system, and after installing it and making the change you suggested, it doesn't seem to have any effect, even after log outs and a reboot.

I've never really liked Nautilus as a file manager, anyway, so I guess it's time to move on.

Thanks again to you both.

--chriscrutch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by chriscrutch View Post
    mc4man, that certainly works, but it adds some complexity that I'm trying to avoid.

--chriscrutch
    Here is a solution similar to mc4man's: Total time involved less than 5 minutes

Save this script to ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts. Call it something like Open Terminator Here

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

loc=`echo $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_CURRENT_URI | sed s/file:\/\///g`

terminator --working-directory="$loc"
    Restart Nautilus
    Code:
    nautilus -q
    Right click in a folder and go to the scripts menu then choose Open Terminator Here
    Thank you,
    GG -----------