Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Linux Kernel 3.8 is Released

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux Kernel 3.8 is Released

Quote Originally Posted by tinsami1 View Post
    Installed 3.8.0 in 2 machines: an HP G42 laptop and an HP desktop. In both cases I experience problems with connecting to a wifi hotspot using WPA/WPA2 -- the laptop to our office wifi and the desktop to my home wifi.

Kernel 3.7.9 works ok, though. I will check the daily builds every now and then to see if this will get fixed eventually.
    I've been fighting WPA/WPA2 encrypted network connection problems with both intel and broadcom. The kernel is just fine. The problems are all with Network Manager. NM will see the network. NM recognizes that "secrets" as they call it are required. NM has the "secrets". Then NM decides to disconnect instead of connect, even though it has everything it needs and "enable wireless" is enabled.

Seems to me it's a conscious policy change by Network Manager in Raring. Precise works just fine, as does Linux Mint 14. And of course Android is very much faster at connecting than Ubuntu, even though my Androids have slower hardware.

One of my several launchpad bug entries is #1097002. No interest from development.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    I've been fighting WPA/WPA2 encrypted network connection problems with both intel and broadcom. The kernel is just fine. The problems are all with Network Manager. NM will see the network. NM recognizes that "secrets" as they call it are required. NM has the "secrets". Then NM decides to disconnect instead of connect, even though it has everything it needs and "enable wireless" is enabled.

Seems to me it's a conscious policy change by Network Manager in Raring. Precise works just fine, as does Linux Mint 14. And of course Android is very much faster at connecting than Ubuntu, even though my Androids have slower hardware.

One of my several launchpad bug entries is #1097002. No interest from development.
    It could well possibly an incompatibility between NM and kernel 3.8 due to a change in the kernel from v3.7 that NM devs still has to address. I would imagine that they'll get to it once RR enters beta next month. I would probably file a bug then (or +1 an already filed bug) if it hasn't been fixed by then.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Has anyone else had trouble getting 5ghz channel bonding working with intel wireless + kernel 3.8? Works fine for me with quantal's kernel, but not in raring: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2121042
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro

It could well possibly an incompatibility between NM and kernel 3.8 due to a change in the kernel from v3.7 that NM devs still has to address. I would imagine that they'll get to it once RR enters beta next month. I would probably file a bug then (or +1 an already filed bug) if it hasn't been fixed by then.
    I've tried several different kernels. It's the NM problem. Once NM finally gets around to "authenticate" the network logs in normally. Looking at the syslogs, all along from the start of Raring, NM does not automatically log in to a hidden wireless network while Pangolin does. It's not the kernel. As posted in the bug, NM quits. On both netbook and notebook, two different sets of network hardware.

Looking back at the postings from whoever, Network Manager types never look at the bug.

Kernels all along have been fine, once NM gets around to issuing the authenticate it does connect. The kernel works fine when it is given the commands to do so.

Sometimes the Network Manager tries to connect to the network without using the WPA key that NM has already, doesn't get a response of course, and posts "Out of Range". It isn't. NM didn't use the key. I go to systems settings network, click on other, there's the network. Select it. Seconds go by, then NM shows the password, I click on the drop down, and it connects. Finally. Using all the info NM already has.

Same network, same hardware, Pangolin and Linux Mint 14 no problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa....5.y.z-review/ (amd_64) works surprisingly well for 3.5 ...
    I wonder what is inside...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa....5.y.z-review/ (amd_64) works surprisingly well for 3.5 ...
    3.8.1 mainline kernel (i686) seems to be working well, too.

SOURCE: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...v3.8.1-raring/
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    3.8.1 mainline kernel (i686) seems to be working well, too.

SOURCE: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...v3.8.1-raring/
    Waiting for 3.9 in a (literally) couple of days...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

anyone had any issues with 3.8.1 mainline 64bit and nvidia (gtx 550 ti) hdmi audio?
    i transplanted a raring install and it is arguing with me, it warrants further testing (i rebooted to it after i had it working on a older kernel and it worked, but after another reboot it quit again)
    i normally just rig it to use analog audio since it just works and never argues, but this is testing
    all open source drivers in use
    hdmi audio worked as of ubuntu 11.04 for my gpu
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    I've tried several different kernels. It's the NM problem. Once NM finally gets around to "authenticate" the network logs in normally. Looking at the syslogs, all along from the start of Raring, NM does not automatically log in to a hidden wireless network while Pangolin does. It's not the kernel. As posted in the bug, NM quits. On both netbook and notebook, two different sets of network hardware.

Looking back at the postings from whoever, Network Manager types never look at the bug.

Kernels all along have been fine, once NM gets around to issuing the authenticate it does connect. The kernel works fine when it is given the commands to do so.

Sometimes the Network Manager tries to connect to the network without using the WPA key that NM has already, doesn't get a response of course, and posts "Out of Range". It isn't. NM didn't use the key. I go to systems settings network, click on other, there's the network. Select it. Seconds go by, then NM shows the password, I click on the drop down, and it connects. Finally. Using all the info NM already has.

Same network, same hardware, Pangolin and Linux Mint 14 no problem.
    SOLVED my WiFi with Precise + Kernel 3.8/3.9 by backporting the libnl-3 and NM packages from quantal. Haven't gotten to testing it out fully, but it now connects.

I backported just NM from quantal first, but it still won't connect. To backport NM from raring, I had to backport libnl-3 too. But after finishing libnl-3 backport, I tested it out and it now connects.

Beans

SOLVED my WiFi with Precise + Kernel 3.8/3.9 by backporting the libnl-3 and NM packages from quantal. Haven't gotten to testing it out fully, but it now connects.

I backported just NM from quantal first, but it still won't connect. To backport NM from raring, I had to backport libnl-3 too. But after finishing libnl-3 backport, I tested it out and it now connects.
    Crap! Turned off the laptop overnight and now it won't connect again. Last night must have been a fluke.

[EDIT: after a few minutes] It works again! After NM gave up, I reconnected again and voila! I will proceed to backport raring's version of NM and see how that goes.
    Last edited by tinsami1; March 12th, 2013 at 02:46 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast