Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Kernel 3.8 is Released

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux Kernel 3.8 is Released

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Why bother? It would be coming down automatically in your 13.04 update manager within the next few days anyway...these guys just like to jump on these things right away

Or are you planning on adding it on to a previous version of ubuntu such as 12.04 or 12.10 and want to get the 3.8 kernel? If that's the case, i am sure someone here can outline how to add it...
    1. It seems to me that there has been more breakage with the repos versions.
    2. I like to do things that involve interaction from myself at the command line. Just a hold over from the old MS Dos days revisited in Linux. I've found that when trouble arrives it pays to know how to do a few things.
    3. You do ask some good questions though!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    If you want to try out the kernel you can go to the link at the beginning of this thread.
    1. Download either the three I386 files or the three AMD64 files depending on which applies to your system. Also download the file ending with "all.deb".
    2. Copy these files into your Home directory. This will be the directory with Documents and your other working directories.
    3. Open a terminal and enter this command. sudo dpkg -i linux*.deb
    4. The kernel will be installed.

After you reboot open a terminal and enter "uname -r", you should see the new kernel loaded.
    It is possible that grub will not put the new kernel at the top of the boot list. If this happens hold down the shift key on boot and goto the Advanced Options and choose the new kernel to boot.

5. If you have a problem you can boot back to an older kernel using the same method.

6. If you want to uninstall the kernel there are instructions available.

I have loaded these new kernels with systems as old as Lucid so you should not have a problem with the 12 series.

If you want to mess with the development versions it doesn't hurt to get your feet wet on other things. That just my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This makes it very easy to update...

http://www.upubuntu.com/2013/02/inst...kernel-38.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by The Spectre View Post
    This makes it very easy to update...

http://www.upubuntu.com/2013/02/inst...kernel-38.html
    Be careful about using scripts from such places... At least read them before using them. But, if You do understand what is in the script, You really do not need it... Conundrum...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Be careful about using scripts from such places... At least read them before using them. But, if You do understand what is in the script, You really do not need it... Conundrum...
    Thanks for the Heads Up.

This sites Kernel Updates have never let me down and I have probably done over a Dozen Kernel Updates on several different systems.

When I first discovered this site I did the Kernel Update to Ubuntu that I have setup in VirtualBox that I use for testing such things as this first. (Just In-case)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by The Spectre; February 19th, 2013 at 10:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro

will it be possible now that 3.8 is done to continue to update the kernels (like outlined in that site) in 13.04

I would like the 3.9 kernel and so on just to stay on the wave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nomenkultur View Post
    will it be possible now that 3.8 is done to continue to update the kernels (like outlined in that site) in 13.04

I suppose 13.04 will not have 3.9 branch at all. There is no time for that any more.
    However, 3.8 branch is by no means done yet.
    We may have 3.8.0 now, but there will definitely be 3.8.1 and 3.8.2 ... for bug fixing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nomenkultur View Post

Just follow http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and You can have newest kernel every day (http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/)...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro

kernel 3.8 has been hard on my intel wireless and gfx

that's why I wanna see if intel put in some effort in 3.9

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Man.... I've heard some bad juju about every point-released-kernel since 3.0 came out! Even Android took forever to switch to 3.x That is, if you see android more as linux than java... hybrids always think they have the best of both worlds! Kinda like a java-based OS with a linux kernel, or something

I suppose complaints go down often just because the newer versions are so unstable with newer hardware... well no crizznap sherlock!

I've been stuck on 3.2 for the longest until 3.5 decided to break stuff... I'm safer with old kernels on my hardware, and virtualizing new ones, like my ArchBang w/3.6, or my daily raring with 3.8 (which needs work, or my box sucks lol).

I wonder if precise will get it fully integrated by 12.04.3 this August? I've heard those rumors, and I don't see much improvement in newer kernels anyway since my laptop's a year old.

Or maybe 3.9 by the 3rd point release of the new* LTS.... hmmm.....

I wonder what 4.0 will hold in store for planet earth.
    When your entire life is measured in one moment, you change the concept of time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast