Thread: How to learn Ubuntu and Linux in general?

Beans

Post How to learn Ubuntu and Linux in general?

Hello,

I'm new to Ubuntu and wish to learn all about Ubuntu/Linux. I've been using it since past 6-7 months and know basic stuff like few terminal commands, repositories, tweaks, desktop environments etc. I have very basic knowledge but I wish to learn each and every aspect of linux. Can you please suggest me some books or some other source of learning? I found "Official ubuntu book 5th addition" ebook on a website but not sure if that's the right book to start with.

Need your help..

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to learn Ubuntu and Linux in general?

Hi,

There are several links in my signature that may be of interest to you -

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Check out the Ubuntu docs in the NewDocs link below.

And welcome to the forums

EDIT: LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Raza J View Post
    Hello,

I'm new to Ubuntu and wish to learn all about Ubuntu/Linux. I've been using it since past 6-7 months and know basic stuff like few terminal commands, repositories, tweaks, desktop environments etc. I have very basic knowledge but I wish to learn each and every aspect of linux. Can you please suggest me some books or some other source of learning? I found "Official ubuntu book 5th addition" ebook on a website but not sure if that's the right book to start with.

Need your help..

Thanks in advance.
    Same thing here.
    I've check a few books, and I only found "Official Ubuntu book" and "Ubuntu Unleashed" (Big one), but I haven't finished anyone. Yet!

If someone have others suggestions, I would like to hear them as well!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I bought the official book, that did it for me when I first started

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Beans

The way that I learned is by answering people's questions right here on these forums. If you have a question, then chances are 10 other people have the same question, too. If you find the solution, then share it with the others. Or find someone who seems really confused and, even if you don't know the answer off the top of your head, work together to research or troubleshoot the problem.

I think this is better than "book learning" (or, at least, an important supplement to it) because it exposes you to the actual everyday real-world issues that people face trying to use Ubuntu. Additionally, you will benefit the community, which is the meaning of the word "Ubuntu."

Beans

I think what may be a good way is do both learn from books you check out from the local library and read online in the forums. Do you have a spare machine? You could always try to break the system somehow and fix it or recreate a problem someone has and fix it with knowledge you have gleaned.

Beans

Thanks you so much everyone, all sources and suggestions were helpful. I have Ubuntu installed on a spare laptop for all mad scientist kind of experiments. I'm starting with "Official Ubuntu Book" after that I'll be learning from Docs and Resources and hopefully answering questions on forum.

I never knew about Ubuntu community or I would have dumped "Windows" long ago.

Beans

Also just use it, you'll be surprised how much you pick up in a short amount if time. Google searches (which often lead to this forum) are always helpful.
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"