View Poll Results: Have You Bookmarked The NewDocs Link ?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

11 45.83%
  • No.

6 25.00%
  • What is NewDocs ?

7 29.17%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have You Bookmarked The NewDocs Link ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

NewDocs Ranks 7 in Google

Hi all,

On 19/02/13 NewDocs reached a Ranking of 7 in Google in the USA.

What is NewDocs ?

NewDocs consists of the Most Popular Regularly Opened Ubuntu Documentation Pages.

By way of introduction I will post NewDocs here - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NewDocs

At present the Community Documentation consists of 4,000 pages on one long file. This is why the initial download time on TitleIndex typically can take between 20 and 28 seconds to load. The other main disadvantage of TitleIndex is because as it is on such a long file, the scrolling is very awkward. Review TitleIndex yourself here - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TitleIndex

NewDocs on the other hand at present has only 678 pages but these cover between 85 - 90 % of Documentation pages that are searched for. Typically, it takes between 4 - 5 seconds to load which is a huge improvement.

Bashing-om's assessment can be seen here -
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=23

So I would very much appreciate your assessment of NewDocs. Have a good look at the two methods and let me know what you think.

Cheers - BlinkinCat -

EDIT : Actual post first referring to Google Ranking of 7 is in Post #16
    Last edited by BlinkinCat; February 21st, 2013 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Added Edit.
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: What Is Your Assessment Of NewDocs ?

Hi all,

To summarize using NewDocs as a Referral Tool.

If you find yourself in the situation that you wish to recommend Ubuntu Documentation, You may find it convenient to Print out a copy of NewDocs. You will find that the Alphabetical page documents readily lend themselves to printing.

There is just no comparison here with TitleIndex which simply does not have a layout suitable for printing.

The total NewDocs printout would I believe take something in the order of the low fifties in terms of page numbers. These pages could easily be set out in a File suitable for easy reference. It would then just be a relatively simple matter of referring the prospective enquirer to the Alphabetical page listing to enable him or her to study the subject in some depth via the Ubuntu Documentation. For example. the user would be provided with the Bookmark link to NewDocs plus the Page Listing Number. Keep in mind that once you have NewDocs, you have access to 678 pages of Ubuntu Documentation on ONE Bookmark.

* Please Note - Any proposed future alterations to NewDocs will be announced in the "Alterations" Page at A2. By checking on the early days of a month, you will be sure of having an accurate copy. It is very possible that alterations may be only be on one or two pages, meaning you won't have to print out a complete list every time.

Cheers - BlinkinCat -
    Last edited by BlinkinCat; February 21st, 2013 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Deleted Excess Information.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi all,

A bit heavy for the Cafe huh ? But I'd really like to talk about it.

The Link to the Alteration Page located at A2 of NewDocs is here -
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AlterationsToNewDocs

And again NewDocs - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NewDocs

Unless you are using NewDocs as a referral tool there is no need to print out pages, all you need do is to Bookmark it. You then have ready access to 678 Ubuntu Documentation Pages. That could mean a considerable saving on your Bookmark spaces. I consider that NewDocs could also prove to be a valuable learning tool for Newbies.

I suggest that you simply have a play with NewDocs to see how easy it is to navigate compared to TitleIndex. That is not to say there is not a place for TitleIndex, there is. On the rare occasions that NewDocs doesn't come up with the page you want, there is a link for TitleIndex on the front-page of NewDocs on which you will with some effort, find your page.

I would welcome any discussion regarding NewDocs.

Cheers - BlinkinCat -
    Last edited by BlinkinCat; February 21st, 2013 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Added Information.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

I like the indexing and will be using this in the future to navigate. Good job

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    I like the indexing and will be using this in the future to navigate. Good job
    Thanks for your kind words ibjsb4,

It may seem complex at first but it is really meant to produce an user friendly alternative to TitleIndex.

Thanks and cheers -
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi all,

I have come to several conclusions.

1. Over a number of days, as I have not received any criticisms regarding NewDocs, I should be encouraged.

2. The two users supporting NewDocs have appeared to be quite keen with their praise, therefore I should be further encouraged.

3. I should be content with the favorable reaction from several staff members.

4. Although there has not been a large number of replies to this thread, I am making an assumption that many of the "Views" could be a positive thing. Viewers could be downloading the NewDocs link to their systems. Are you going to, or have you downloaded the link ?

What do you think ? Particularly with regard to Item 4.

Cheers -
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Interesting. I just spent 10 mins looking at a few of the Docs, I will use it again. Thanks

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

I think you need to start a advertising campaign

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    Interesting. I just spent 10 mins looking at a few of the Docs, I will use it again. Thanks
    Many thanks for your encouragement sammiev -

As users report potential new links, performance will only improve. It is quite a task going through the 4,000 links manually in TitleIndex finding more, so I thought it best to rely on users to report them as they found them.

Cheers -
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    I think you need to start a advertising campaign
    Yes, perhaps you're right ibjsb4 - It would be lovely if there was a link somewhere on the Forums, but perhaps that is hoping for too much. I see the main objective now is to come up with reliability and let people judge it on it's merits.

Cheers -
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast