Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install Ubuntu on the Mobile phone?

Beans

Lightbulb How to install Ubuntu on the Mobile phone?

Hello!
    Is it possible to install Ubuntu into a Sony Ericsson W760 mobile phone?
    How to do it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to install Ubuntu on the Mobile phone?

Quote Originally Posted by onebonetune View Post
    Hello!
    How to do it?
    Ubuntu Phone is a system that phone manufacturers can put on new phones. It is not intended as a system you can install on your existing phone.

The Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 will be able to install Ubuntu, but this is only because they are the official development platform. Every model of phone is so different they can't share the exact same operating system, unlike PCs.

Maybe a community member might manage to port Ubuntu to other phones, but as Ubuntu Phone hasn't been released yet nobody really knows what phones will get ports.

Yours will not. It has nowhere near enough RAM, CPU, storage or screen space.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; February 19th, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is an app in Google play store called Complete Linux Installer. It can install Ubuntu on most android phones. It should work for your phone if it is a dual core or quad core phone with at least 1gb RAM. This is to allow you to run Ubuntu and android at the same time, not separately. It is not supported by Canonical. It works but lacks special features canonical has created for running android on phones. It's just Ubuntu for ARM and viewed with Android VNC to allow a graphical desktop. Any Ubuntu open source software works-- but not proprietary software that's compiled only for intel/AMD processors
    Want two extra gigs of hard drive space?
    Support running Ubuntu from a compressed file!

Beans
    Distro

In a few days Canonical will be releasing the Ubuntu Touch images that it has been developing for a couple of Nexus devices. This code will be released under an open source licence. That means that anyone is free to port the code to other mobile devices. Just do not expect Canonical to do it for you. They are aiming elsewhere.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

I just looked up your phone... It is not a smartphone. The hard disk, screen, RAM and processor are all unsuitable for running Ubuntu.
    Want two extra gigs of hard drive space?
    Support running Ubuntu from a compressed file!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

On this phone??? http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_w760-2197.php The best you'll manage is an Ubuntu wallpaper.....

Beans

Unhappy Re: How to install Ubuntu on the Mobile phone?

Hello!
    How to do it?
    I understand you... I tried to install Whatsapp on my Sony Ericsson W760i just now
    and it seems there is no version for it... there is a lot of other apps I would like
    to install on it but they're all made for android... It seems that the bette solution to us
    is to buy a Galaxy or something like that...

But we can still wait for Xubuntu to embrace the idea of a version for weaker mobile phones...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

That doesn't track. Xubuntu is a lighter version of desktop Ubuntu, but it's still made for desktops. Android is lighter than either of them. And a phone that doesn't even run Android is simply not going to give you any option to install a new operating system.
    ~ I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home. ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

But we can still wait for Xubuntu to embrace the idea of a version for weaker mobile phones...
    I can safely say that there will never be a version of Xubuntu that will run on any phone with 40 megabytes of RAM and a 2.2 inch display.

Basic Android phones are under $100 now, even though they are basic they'll beat the W760 on everything except sound quality and battery life.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

have read all this responses...looks like one needs to have a smart phone for an easy installation cos thats what makes the menu. So how can i install ubuntu on my nokia lumia 510. i wanna delete the windows OS completely. any hints???????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast