Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: [SOLVED] Booting install CD when uefi and secure boot are enabled

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Booting install CD when uefi and secure boot are enabled

Good news! FINALLY have a clean grub menu with working Ubuntu option and a SINGLE and *WORKING* Windows 8 option.

I still get those error messages at power up, but currently it all works as I needed, so I'm not in a hurry to fix those right now.

All I can say is: what a mess!

Followed by: THANKS OLDFRED! I know this was probably just as frustrating for you as it was me. I also had to turn the execute bit off on the /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware file (don't know if that is a "standard" file, generated by boot-repair, or what). That file created all of the screwy UEFI entries in the grub menu.

Thanks again! If you have any idea on the error messages at boot as mentioned previously I'll sure be all ears!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

With everyone else BootInfo shows this. And that entry is to get you back into UEFI as some systems with fastboot on can only get to UEFI thru Windows and if Windows does not boot, you have a brick.

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###
    menuentry 'System setup' $menuentry_id_option 'uefi-firmware' {

fwsetup

}
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###
    The entries in 25_custom are added by Boot-Repair.

And the entries from 30_os_prober are os_prober and those currently are the old BIOS boot which do not work. With os-prober off script or a sudo update-grub should just show this:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
    Boot-Repair will add extra entries but it is not sure what works so it adds every .efi or any file that may be a boot file to menu. Some systems have recovery in same folder so it also adds all the recovery entries, others have a separate folder, but it still adds those also.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I was preparing to install Xubuntu.. so I turned secure boot off and when I tried to boot live USB it said: 'Secure boot not enabled.' and then nothing. So I turned it on and it worked. (I have UEFI bios by the way.)

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

with things at least working, even with the error messages at power up, I'm going to mark this as solved. if something comes up relevant to this is thread, then I'll open it again.

thanks again for the help oldfred! I don't know why turned out different, but at least I can boot both Ubuntu and windows from the grub menu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Glad you got it working.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456