Thread: Create a custom system message,is it doable?

Beans

Create a custom system message,is it doable?

Hi there,I was thinking if there's any way to create a custom-made system message (notification),like say the one popping up when the network goes up or down.
    I was going to add a cronjob to rsync some directories on an external drive every day,only that drive won't be plugged in all the time,so a pop up message saying something like "cronjob starting in 5 minutes,plug in the drive" would be kinda handy
    Can this be done in Gnome 2 ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Create a custom system message,is it doable?

motd (Message Of The Day) will display the contents of file /etc/motd when users log in.

wall (Warn ALL) will display the contents of a file to all logged in users. You could put this at the beginning of your script.

I used these commands in the pre GUI days of unix, so I'm sure there are prettier ways of doing something similar now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Would zenity be of use? It provides a graphical popup.

Code:
    DISPLAY=:.0. zenity --notification --text 'Hello, World'

Beans
    Hidden!

See this thread which uses notify-send

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2115215

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    Would zenity be of use? It provides a graphical popup.

Code:
    DISPLAY=:.0. zenity --notification --text 'Hello, World'
    Oddly,zenity delivers only a tiny tooltip in the notification area (to see which you have to hover on the icon that pops up there) in Lucid with Gnome 2,but a nice full-sized notification balloon in Debian with Mate desktop.
    From what I've read,looks like some people had such issues with zenity - maybe some extra libraries/packages are needed to have this notifications properly displayed?

EDIT: OTOH,after installing libnotify-bin as suggested in the next reply, and using notify-send,the notifications apparently work straight away from the command line.
    Having them appear by means of a cronjob took more work,however:I ended up crafting a simple script like this
    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/bin/notify-send 'rsync cronjob starting IN 5 MINUTES :
    PLUG IN USB Device ! '
    and then adding this cronjob

DISPLAY=:0
    30 08 * * * /home/user/script
    following the directions in this article http://www.guyrutenberg.com/2012/08/...ion-from-cron/ -actually,many suggestions about how integrating messages with a crontab were too complicated for what I needed,this simple script (well just a cut and paste job,really ) does what I need.
    Thanks for all the hints,BTW
    Last edited by cogset; February 19th, 2013 at 03:29 PM.

Code:
    notify-send -t 10000 -u critical "cronjob starting in 5 minutes, plug in the drive"
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.