Thread: Updating, how frequently

Hybrid View

Beans

Updating, how frequently

On my Windows box I update it once a week, how frequently do you update Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Updating, how frequently

Quote Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
    It will show you when important updates are available. I usually just check for updates once a week otherwise.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    It will show you when important updates are available. I usually just check for updates once a week otherwise.
    Actually Ubuntu will also automatically notify you about less important updates as well. It's just limited to one per week (counting from previous update), so if you update manually every week or more often ypou'll never see it happening...

So, the rules are that important security updates are offered to the user immediatelly, everything else after at least 7 days have passed from previous update.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can set it up to do automatic updates, or just notify you, lotsa choices.
    Through "Software Suouces"
    See here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tu#Updates_Tab

Personally I just have to check daily and notify and I do updates when I feel like it.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

We can even set security updates to download and install automatically. Now, seeing as you asked, I update daily. But then again I am using a development version and I find it interesting to follow the gradual development of one version of Ubuntu into the next version.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You know what's really bad?

I haven't updated my 12.04. Ever.

Everything is running okay and I've only got 4 GB per month slow download.

When I had a large download quota on ADSL 2, I updated every day. I even installed "proposed" updates as I was hungry for whatever new stuff I could get!
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
    Once a week. 12.04 LTS.

Beans

I don't fix it if it ain't broke...

Linux is as reliable as a refrigerator and most problems are due to finger trouble.

I completely re-install my desktop/laptop machines about every two or three years. Apart from that, I almost never apply any updates. I do watch the security bulitins, but only apply a patch if it is extremely serious, for example I applied the SSL patches some years ago.

Even servers, I install, lock down and then I leave them alone until something fails. My last web and mail server ran for 4 years till the PSU blew up. My present web and mail server has now been running for 1210 days (3.3 years) with zero downtime and zero maintenance.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Daily, although not every day new updates are available. It only takes a few seconds on my internet connetion.

My older computer checks daily for security updates and installs them automatically, I install the other updates approximately once a month.