Thread: 12.04 eth0 gone, eth3 appears

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question 12.04 eth0 gone, eth3 appears

I cloned a machine to one that was physically identical, changed the name of the new machine, and everything appeared good except that eth0 is gone and has been replaced by eth3. (I think the machines have two NICs but only one is brought out.)

I used Network Manager to fix a static IP address for the new machine and have not attempted to edit /etc/network/interfaces (having learned my lesson on that!).

Too keep every thing the same I'd like to use eth0 for the first port but don't understand which file needs editing or what command to give. I suspect that somewhere there is a file with the device eth0 associated with the MAC address for the old machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: 12.04 eth0 gone, eth3 appears

I believe you are looking for /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. Post back if you need any further assistance.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Talking Re: 12.04 eth0 gone, eth3 appears

Solved.

Thank you kindly.

I have another machine that had to go back to the vendor as the NICs on the MB didn't meet my specifications. The vendor somehow added two NICs. I have the same name problem that I thought I would have to live with (since there really were 4 NICs with only two exposed in the panel).