Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: permission denied and unable to do anything in terminal

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: permission denied and unable to do anything in terminal

Use sudo when you want to perform administration tasks. Do not use it when it is not necessary. Do not leave a terminal window or a browser with administration privileges when the task has finished, because of the risk of destroying the system or removing files by mistake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

sorry for being so slow in understanding xD.. is it supposed to be like this that i cant do as much in terminal im going crazy in not understadning why

it feel more open to use terminal in 10.04 and in 12.04 i cant..

i cna install spotify in 10.04 and i CAN't in 12.04 by the way that the spotify seite has its guide on the linux preview installing guide..

Beans

I've never used Spotify myself, but a quick search on Google makes it appear that Spotify is a Windows/Mac program. Perhaps using Wine would work for you.

I don't know if this is the "Hoyle Rules" way of doing things, but so far in my Ubuntu usage, tweaking, etc., when I find something new I want to install that isn't located in the software center, these three steps are taken:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:<some place on the net where the installation files are located>

sudo apt-get update to update your repository cache

sudo apt-get install <whatever program you are installing>

Doing it this way achieves at least two goals I am aware of:

1) When the author of the program releases an upgrade, Ubuntu will automatically see that and upgrade it for you with all the other upgrades of system and Ubuntu supported software.

2) Most repositories look like they've gone through a bit of inspection by the folks at launchpad, so you can be reasonably assured that the programs do not contain malware.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12