Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuttering after Ubuntu install

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Stuttering after Ubuntu install

Could there be some problem with reading/writing, that sometimes keeps the computer busy re-reading or re-writing?

Have you checked the S.M.A.R.T. status of your HDD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

S.M.A.R.T shows that everything is OK but I have to say that I can hear that little noise from my HDD allready which should be a sign that soon the screetching sound will come and I need a new HDD.

But now to the iotop and top tests.
    So I watched a video and at the same time I had two terminals open one with top and one with iotop -o -d7

iotop showed me that gnome-shell was disk reading with 100 KB/s if i remember correctly now ( was the biggest one there) when the stutter occurred and Xorg took 60% cpu usage. I will wait up one more stutter and take a screenshot this time which I should have done long ago.

Edit: uploaded pictures. iotop did not update at the exact same time when Xorg went up but the picture after shows it's aftermath.
    Last edited by Zirts; February 17th, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
    We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Zirts View Post
    S.M.A.R.T shows that everything is OK but I have to say that I can hear that little noise from my HDD allready which should be a sign that soon the screetching sound will come and I need a new HDD.
    No I don't think it is the HDD.
    But now to the iotop and top tests.
    So I watched a video and at the same time I had two terminals open one with top and one with iotop -o -d7

iotop showed me that gnome-shell was disk reading with 100 KB/s if i remember correctly now ( was the biggest one there) when the stutter occurred and Xorg took 60% cpu usage. I will wait up one more stutter and take a screenshot this time which I should have done long ago.

Edit: uploaded pictures. iotop did not update at the exact same time when Xorg went up but the picture after shows it's aftermath.
    I think we can use your screenshots to understand what is happening. And I hope some other guys might add ideas too

As far as I can see, xorg is not causing any swapping, and it should not be responsible for reading from the video file. I think that it cannot quite keep the pace necessary to show the video smoothly.

I cannot see any information about the version and flavour of Ubuntu except [ubuntu] in the title.

- Is it 12.04 LTS or 12.10?
    - What desktop environment is it? Unity or some other flavour of gnome 3 shell? Are you running compiz?

I suggest that you try

- either to download iso files of Lubuntu and Xubuntu and try them live (testing with VLC (temporary install into the live session). Maybe this is more complicated, but it does not mess with your installed system

- or install the corresponding desktop environments into your present Ubuntu. This is easy to do, and should not destroy anything, but your menus might become a bit cluttered.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    And you can select desktop environment at the log in screen.

My experience is that Lubuntu plays video much better than [vanilla] Ubuntu, because the its desktop environment LXDE is ultra light-weight.

You get extreme speed if you have no desktop environment at all, only the openbox window manager, that you can also select at the log in screen (if you have Lubuntu or lubuntu-desktop). Right-click on the background to get a terminal window and go ahead ...

I guess you think that you should get both eye-candy and speed, but maybe you can select different desktop environments depending on the task.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's a 12.10 Ubuntu with gnome 3 desktop manager. I just like the looks of this DM. But I will give your advice a try then. Can post results later tough as my internet download speed is slow and I will need time to fetch the new DM.
    We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Fixed it. Just re-installed the OS, was like chasing a ghost when trying to fix it without a complete re-install.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12