Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wubi, failure to establish an account

Beans

Wubi, failure to establish an account

Hello, I became taka very strange thing, I have installed wubi ubuntu 13.04 (if I'm not mistaken so still did not work), it would not bother me but I did not create this account, no idea what could be the root password (I tried what I contractors during the installation), I signed up as a guest but he can not quite nothing (or log on wifi) without root permissions. Grub menu does not trigger. Through wubi I tried reinstalling 3 times but still the same. It happened to you? How do I solve this? Thank you for your reply.

Beans

Re: Wubi, failure to establish an account

Version 13.04 is an ALPHA -- which you shouldn't even attempt using unless you are very experienced with using Ubuntu. Early versions are known to have bugs.

You would do better using 12.10, or even then, possibly 12.04.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Mate, Mint 17.1; MS Win 8.1, Win10 TP.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Ubuntu +1 (Raring Ringtail).

+1 to what Mark Phelps has said. As a new user, don't start with 13.04. Still testing and not released until April. Not the place to jump in unless you are willing to share all bugs with the developers and are prepared for a very steep learning curve.

Better to start with the current and stable long term support release 12.04 LTS until you know your way around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thumbs down Re: Wubi, failure to establish an account

Empis, when posting a message about a Pre-Release Build (which is an Alpha, Beta, and/or Nightly Build from http://ISO.QA.UBUNTU.COM/ please always post your message in the Ubuntu +1 Forum, that way you can get help from fellow Ubuntu Pre-Release Testers the Regular Ubuntu + 1 Posters who test Ubuntu + 1 Builds on a Regular Basis and you won't get Yelled at by people like Mark Phelps who don't understand that there is a Regular Crowd of people who Test Ubuntu +1 Builds and and don't even get paid to do it.

As for your problem, I have tried out the AMD 64 13.04 WUBI.EXE and am having the same problem currently, however I have also noticed that no one else has posted a Report about the Bug @ ISO.QA.UBUNTU.COM yet, so I am NOT really sure if we are supposed to post Bugs about 13.04 WUBI.EXE yet or if we need to WAIT UNTIL 13.04 HITS BETA STATUS. The main reason why I am using it is so that I can Dual Boot between Windows 8 Pro Edition (on which I am currently Testing Avast 8.0 Public Beta) and run Ubuntu 13.04 at the same time. Maybe Cariboo907 can tell us whether we should Report the Bug or wait until 13.04 hits Beta Status. In the meantime, you should be able to Login with the Guest Account. I was.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Thread moved to Ubuntu +1 (Raring Ringtail).

+1 to what Mark Phelps has said. As a new user, don't start with 13.04. Still testing and not released until April. Not the place to jump in unless you are willing to share all bugs with the developers and are prepared for a very steep learning curve.

Better to start with the current and stable long term support release 12.04 LTS until you know your way around.
    Bucky Ball, when I started out here I jumped right into Ubuntu 7.10 Pre-Release Testing. And for good reason: Ubuntu 7.04 would NOT run on the Dell Computer I had at the time. Not to mention the fact that I already had previous Pre-Release Testing Experience on Windows with Microsoft at the time. He may as well.
    Last edited by kevpan815; February 18th, 2013 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Word Spelled Wrong.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    Empis, when posting a message about a Pre-Release Build (which is an Alpha, Beta, and/or Nightly Build from http://ISO.QA.UBUNTU.COM/ please always post your message in the Ubuntu +1 Forum, that way you can get help from fellow Ubuntu Pre-Release Testers the Regular Ubuntu + 1 Posters who test Ubuntu + 1 Builds on a Regular Basis and you won't get Yelled at by people like Mark Phelps who don't understand that there is a Regular Crowd of people who Test Ubuntu +1 Builds and and don't even get paid to do it.

As for your problem, I have tried out the AMD 64 13.04 WUBI.EXE and am having the same problem currently, however I have also noticed that no one else has posted a Report about the Bug @ ISO.QA.UBUNTU.COM yet, so I am NOT really sure if we are supposed to post Bugs about 13.04 WUBI.EXE yet or if we need to WAIT UNTIL 13.04 HITS BETA STATUS. The main reason why I am using it is so that I can Dual Boot between Windows 8 Pro Edition (on which I am currently Testing Avast 8.0 Public Beta) and run Ubuntu 13.04 at the same time. Maybe Cariboo907 can tell us whether we should Report the Bug or wait until 13.04 hits Beta Status. In the meantime, you should be able to Login with the Guest Account. I was.
    I forgot to mention that I was able to get the Internet to work in the Guest Account by Turning On my Apple IPhone 5's Personal Hotspot and then I Plugged the Apple IPhone 5 into the Computer using the Apple Lightning to USB Connector into the Computer's USB 2.0 Port. So unfortunately you may have to use a Wired Connection like an Ethernet Cable Internet Connection to Access the Internet in the Guest Account.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    Bucky Ball, when I started out here I jumped right into Ubuntu 7.10 Pre-Release Testing. And for good reason: Ubuntu 7.04 would NOT run on the Dell Computer I had at the time. Not to mention the fact that I already had previous Pre-Release Testing Experience on Windows with Microsoft at the time. He may as well.
    Unsure what this has to do with OP. There are variables and here are some:

1/ Experience level;
    2/ OP is using Wubi;
    3/ This may not have anything to do with the fact that the stable LTS will not install, as was your case;
    4/ Hardware.

For a new user, possibly without the experience you had when you plunged right in, the LTS release, which is currently known to be stable, is a good place to start.

I did mention this in my post BTW:

Not the place to jump in unless you are willing to share all bugs with the developers and are prepared for a very steep learning curve.
    which you may have overlooked but relates directly to what you have posted.

By reading the first post it is clear that Microsoft tester/expert/guru or not, the OP is having serious trouble with their Wubi install in Linux Ubuntu 13.04, a testing release. They also say nothing about being aware 13.04 is unreleased, therefore testing is probably not the intention. Might pay to eliminate the idiosycracies of that and start with a release that is familiar and known to be stable and working on most hardware setups.

Perhaps the OP can clarify some of this but in the end it's up to them which path they take. We have made the differences between the two pretty clear at this point I'd say. Now, back on topic, 'Wubi, failure to establish an account.'

PS: The OP may be 'he' or 'she'.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; February 18th, 2013 at 05:39 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's more likely that the OP didn't intend to install 13.04. This seems to happen now and then, but no one has ever done the bug report and so there is no log file to prove it...

But Wubi goes after the diskimage from this address (for 12.10, assuming 32bit):
    Code:
    diskimage=http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.10/ubuntu-12.10-wubi-i386.tar.xz
    If for whatever reason, the address is not resolved - e.g. temporary timeout or server unreachablee - it assumes that it's the dev release and then goes after this image:
    Code:
    diskimage2=http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/wubi/current/i386.tar.xz
    Which, as you can imagine, is the 13.04 current disk image.

For 64 bit there's a similar problem except it goes for:
    Code:
    diskimage2=http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/wubi/current/amd64.tar.xz
    Take a look and you'll see it's dated: 17-Feb-2013 07:33 550M

Anyway - I'd guess this is what happened. It would be great to see the log file (it's in the %TEMP% directory and is called wubi-12.10-rev273.log) so this can be confirmed. Or just create a bug report and attach the log.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    It's more likely that the OP didn't intend to install 13.04. This seems to happen now and then, but no one has ever done the bug report and so there is no log file to prove it...

But Wubi goes after the diskimage from this address (for 12.10, assuming 32bit):
    Code:
    If for whatever reason, the address is not resolved - e.g. temporary timeout or server unreachablee - it assumes that it's the dev release and then goes after this image:
    Code:

Code:

Anyway - I'd guess this is what happened. It would be great to see the log file (it's in the %TEMP% directory and is called wubi-12.10-rev273.log) so this can be confirmed. Or just create a bug report and attach the log.
    Actually, I got the 13.04 WUBI.EXE from ISO.QA.UBUNTU.COM which has a Download Link from *.Canonical.com, Just FYI.

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Wubi, failure to establish an account

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post

Code:
    Code:

Code:

P.S. This problem that I am having (which was the exact same problem that he/she said they were having is NOT from 12.10 WUBI.EXE-REV-273, rather it is from the 13.04 WUBI.EXE-REV-275 which can be found at ISO.QA.UBUNTU.COM, just click on 13.04 Nightly Build and it will be near the bottom of the List.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast