Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Point Linux, the new Debian + MATE distro

Beans

Re: Point Linux, the new Debian + MATE distro

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceAviator View Post
    I really want these distros (mostly debian based) to move from 3.2. My desktop has problems running with anything below 3.5. And its annoying to fix these issues. I really want to use debian but god 3.2 is old...
    It's really not that old. If it works why fix it? That being said it obviously doesn't work for you. There are plenty of distros out there that come with 3.5+ just use one of those. It's easy enough to install mate on most distros that you really don't need a mate specific distro. Just read http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download and it has directions how to install on most distros. Heck maybe you can even try the free bsd version of debian?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Going to be replying here since the forums aren't up over there yet. (Also Google has never heard of the distro--have you submitted to Distrowatch in order to get some traction?)

I installed it on my netbook, an aging eeepc 901 which originally came with Xandros and has all its original parts. This netbook has run Ubuntu happily from Hardy 'til Lucid until someone decided to screw all netbook owners running Ubuntu. By that point I was already beginning to look for alternatives because 'Unity' was clearly not something that fit with my workflow. My installation was from a USB drive using unetbootin to move the iso to the flash drive.

Starting from the flash drive worked fine. The live desktop found all my hardware and after fixing the mouse settings to use the touchpad to click and enabling two finger scroll (a necessity for me as my left button has begun to stop responding, a known hardware defect) I was able to connect to my network and explore the distro. Most things seemed to be exactly as I liked it and I appreciated the software selection chosen as defaults. I decided to back up my current Lucid installation and do the install.

Rebooting to the flash drive produced an error when the command line installer came to configuring the hardware. The installer wanted a firmware file to run the network which is considered to be non-free, a rt2860.bin which it offered to load from removable disk. Assuming this would mean scanning the USB drive I had just used in the live environment I told the installer to scan. It was ultimately unable to find the file. I decided to put off installing until I was able to return to my house and use an ethernet cord to do the install.

Once I returned home, the ethernet cord plugged in I was able to complete the install without issue. The installer even accepted my custom partitioning without a hiccup--something that most installers have a fit over for some reason. (For the curious my partitioning is to make the best of my small SSD drives I have an 4GB SSD and a 16GB SSD. The 16GB is slower than the 4GB drive, so what I do is partition like so:

4GB SSD
    /---/4GBs
    ---/efi 8mbs

16GB
    /----swap 1GB
    /-------/usr/share 4GB
    /---------data 11GB

I mark the OS to not use the swap, except for hibernating purposes and symbolically link between the /data partition the usual /home folders for Downloads, Documents, Music, etc. This allows me to retain the faster SSD for all the configuration files that get written to in /home.)

Once installed while using the network cable, the eeepc booted up and once again after configuring the touchpad was able to connect to my WiFi network without issues. It might be worth investigating whether or not it would be a good idea to use the Ubiquity installer to map the live environment to the disk to bypass hardware issues like this in the future. For me it was a somewhat expected annoyance, I knew immediately when I saw the firmware name what the issue was the non-free firmware and knew the problem would be worked around by installing with a network cable, others might have more issues with their network not being able to use WiFi to do the install.

Once into the desktop I immediately started adding my usual apps and customizing my desktop to my preferences. Mostly this went without issue until I tried to add compiz. It was completely missing from the repositories, trying to add it via Sid repositories completely failed me.

That was a show-stopper enough for me to roll back to my backup rather than fight with it over night. Is it a goal to eventually give us back our compiz and emerald themes? I love the cube and I love showing it off to others as a I move from virtual desktop to virtual desktop. It is still one of the best ways to get people excited about Linux I've ever seen and I do not want to do without it.

I fully intend to give the distro another try in the future when I have more time to play with it and try to get it configured to my preferences but I didn't have enough time last night to fight with it.

Another suggestion, would you be willing to create some documentation for those coming to you from Ubuntu explaining some of the differences between it, Debian and Point Linux. I don't know if your goal is to make Point Linux more like Ubuntu or if your goal is to wean people over to Debian, so possibly this wouldn't matter for you. It would be nice to know where you intend to take things though. Your artwork seems to imply you intend to fork off and create a better Ubuntu than Ubuntu. You have a great chance of doing just that in my opinion!

Speaking of artwork, could I suggest possibly using the Mint forked version of GDM instead of LightDM? It was IMHO just ugly after how nicely everything else looked. A different titlebar theme might be nice also, those seemed like the ugliest parts of a very nice looking default theming. It was especially jarring after how nice the boot screen looked to see the way LightDM looked. Then again when the desktop looked so nice then the default titlebars looked so plain they looked out of place with the rest of the system.

Looking forward to when the forums fill up at your site!

--bornagainpenguin
    Last edited by bornagainpenguin; February 25th, 2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: accidentially'd a word
    Have a Virgin Mobile USA smartphone?
    Check these guys out!

Beans

bornagainpenguin, compiz will be here soon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bornagainpenguin View Post
    My installation was from a USB drive using unetbootin to move the iso to the flash drive.
    Which iso did you use? I am using "pointlinux-mate-full-13.02-64.iso" and can't get it to boot into the installation. I used the steps in the wiki; http://wiki.pointlinux.org/index.php..._CD/DVD_or_USB

This is such a nice distro!
    Last edited by cycle_mycle; February 26th, 2013 at 04:29 AM.
    But to all who have received him - those who believe in his name - he has given the right to become God's children.
    John 1:12 NET Bible

Beans

I like what I saw on the screenshots, I'll give this one a spin.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by PryGuy View Post
    bornagainpenguin, compiz will be here soon

That's awesome news! Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by cycle_mycle View Post
    Which iso did you use? I am using "pointlinux-mate-full-13.02-64.iso" and can't get it to boot into the installation. I used the steps in the wiki; http://wiki.pointlinux.org/index.php..._CD/DVD_or_USB

This is such a nice distro!
    I used the 32-bit ISO, I plan to run the distro on my netbook as well as my desktops, so I went for the 32-bit even though I could use 64-bit on the desktops. Plus I have less than 4GB of RAM installed on all my hardware, so I don't know how much I would really benefit from it.

-bornagainpenguin
    Have a Virgin Mobile USA smartphone?
    Check these guys out!

Beans

Compiz is officially in Point Linux repos now!

Here's more info.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Megaptera View Post
    ...found & connected to my Broadcom wireless with two clicks....
    I'm extremely happy to hear that you had little to no problem getting your Broadcom wifi going. I'm fairly new to Linux and want to dual-boot my Macbook Pro w/ OS X 10.8.4 and a Debian-based and/or Ubuntu-like Linux distro that isn't going to continually make me want constantly drink a soup consisting of bleach, razorblades and used bandaids.

Fingers crossed that Point Linux will be the one! Wish me luck

Beans

Hi,
    I'm new to Linux. Tried Ubuntu 13.04 and liked everything but the interface. I tried Point Linux 64bit live, just what I'm looking for. I installed it on my HP Pavilion G6 notebook with Windows 8. I made a partition for Point so I could have a dual boot until I'm ready to dump Windows. The install went without a hitch until the reboot. It boots right to Windows, no boot menu. Put the live DVD back in and made a USB boot disk then tried boot-fix, boot-repair, Hiren's Boot CD and who knows what. So far nothing has worked. Also can't connect to my Wi-Fi router which is a must.

When asked about installing Grub I had 2 choices, I tried both /dev/sda and /dev/sda1. I am now back to /dev/sda.
    My Wi-Fi router is Netgear N300 WRN 2000v4 and my Wi-Fi card is Ralink RT3290 802.11.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by David_Michaels View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new to Linux. Tried Ubuntu 13.04 and liked everything but the interface. I tried Point Linux 64bit live, just what I'm looking for. I installed it on my HP Pavilion G6 notebook with Windows 8. I made a partition for Point so I could have a dual boot until I'm ready to dump Windows. The install went without a hitch until the reboot. It boots right to Windows, no boot menu. Put the live DVD back in and made a USB boot disk then tried boot-fix, boot-repair, Hiren's Boot CD and who knows what. So far nothing has worked. Also can't connect to my Wi-Fi router which is a must.

When asked about installing Grub I had 2 choices, I tried both /dev/sda and /dev/sda1. I am now back to /dev/sda.
    My Wi-Fi router is Netgear N300 WRN 2000v4 and my Wi-Fi card is Ralink RT3290 802.11.
    To get boot choice option while booting, use the software - easybcd on Windows and select the partition where you had installed Linux. There's an option to add boot option in the software which you'll understand once you try out - I don't exactly remember; but I had faced the same issue couple of days back with Linux Mint and fixed it myself. Save, reboot and you'll be prompted with choices while booting. Try

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast