Thread: Recover grub after deleting some partition

Beans

Red face Recover grub after deleting some partition

Hi guys! i'm sorry if the post sounds reiterative, it's just that i've seen so many workarounds to my problem that i'm not really sure which one will work in my case.
    This is the scenario:

1. I accidentally erased one partition in my hdd.
    Details: I have a dual boot system (win7, ubuntu 12.10), so i thought i had 4 partitions, 2 for each OS+1 that came with my computer for recovery, + 1 for linux swap, I noticed that i had 2 swap partitions, so i thought it was a leftover from a previous Ubuntu installation and chose to erase it, since it was considerably smaller than the one i (remember had) made for my actual installation. Big mistake.

2. When i restarted the system i saw the Grub rescue prompt, "no such partition". After searching and trying a lot i found this solution:
    Code:
    set root=(hd0,msdos6)
    set prefix=(hd0,msdos6)/boot/grub
    insmod normal
    normal
    3. After previous step i could boot again, both win and Ubuntu. My problem right now is that... i have to type all of that every time i turn on my laptop and some times Ubuntu won't load .
    I already used
    Code:
    sudo update grub
    but it remained the same. I understand that i have to make Grub stop looking for the actually non existent partition. Is there a way to do that? Do i have to reinstall Grub?
    Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Recover grub after deleting some partition

you'd better to make a move with Boot-repair.
    look at my signature for Grub -recovery,
    Thats going to help you .
    Raja

రాజ శేఖర్ రెడ్డి

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Boot-Repair will work.

But if you are in your Ubuntu install you can just reinsall grub's boot loader to the MBR.

#reinstall from working (not liveCD/DVD/USB) system - first find Ubuntu drive (example is drive sda but use your drive not partitions):
    sudo fdisk -l
    #if it's "/dev/sda" then just run:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    #If that returns any errors run:
    sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
    sudo update-grub

You can also do this.
    #to get grub2 to remember where to reinstall on updates:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
    #Enter thru first pages,spacebar to choose/unchoose drive, enter to accept, do not choose partitions
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you guys, i managed to get grub showing again (i don't get the "grub rescue" prompt anymore) so my computer is back to starting as normal, but still after i choose Ubuntu on grub it tells me that some partition is missing so i have to press "s" (for skip) to continue loading system, it's less annoying than the grub rescue, but is there a fix for this?

Oh i almost forgot! since i wasn't sure wich drive was correct i used
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
    and that solved the grub rescue prompt at start up. Since the partition missing message still appeared i used
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    and it said no problem, but the message still shows...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Were you mounting the partition you deleted with fstab? If so it will give that error message until you delete it from fstab.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Usually, if I have this sort of issue, I keep a copy of Puppy Linux lying around. So that I can install the Grub loader from the Live CD. It is good because it automatically detects the operating systems installed and you can customise the boot menu yourself! Not the quickest or simplest way, but that's how I choose to do it. ^.^

Beans

So, all of a sudden my wireless hardware went crazy and i got mad at ubuntu and decided to simply wipe it all and do a clean install, not the first time it happens but still supporting Ubuntu, i'm writing from my new install and hoping to learn, thank you guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by seragx99 View Post
    So, all of a sudden my wireless hardware went crazy and i got mad at ubuntu and decided to simply wipe it all and do a clean install, not the first time it happens but still supporting Ubuntu, i'm writing from my new install and hoping to learn, thank you guys!

Hey, sometimes it's just quicker to start again! At least we don't have to worry about 25 digit keys and activation