Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gimp question

Beans

Question Gimp question

Ubuntu Community,

Photoshop...is one of the only windows based programs I am missing. Can someone point me toward a a good tutorial for getting Gimp to look like the Photoshop? I've heard it's possible...just not finding any easy to follow tutorials for newbs...

Thanks...

ego-

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Gimp question

What version are you using? Since 2.6, you can enlarge the main work area to fill the whole screen, and you can dock the tools/dialog boxes where you like on the work screen. That sort of makes GIMP "look like" Photoshop.

While GIMP can pretty much do anything Photoshop can, the process of photomanipulation isn't like Photoshop. The output can be the same; the process to get there is different. There are lots of tutorials on the web. Use your preferred search engine to find "GIMP tutorial."

Beans

GIMP 2.8 has a single-window mode. Activate via the Windows menu and select Single-Window mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Perhaps this will help you: http://gimpmagazine.org/

Regards.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans

Thanks guys! Gunna hit this today!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi, if you want Gimp to look similar to CS6 - check out this link

http://blenderartists.org/forum/show...ok-so-cool-%29

Jay

Beans

Hi new with GIMP problem when i open GIMP the Left side window MENU opens and is rectangluar and the CENTER Window opens for the ART design work
    all the tutitorials show a RIGHT side window Menu to?
    i am trying to figure out where MINE Is or what do i CLICK on so i have THREE WINDOWS with the GIMP open to work ..THANKS Airriel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Airriel View Post
    Hi new with GIMP problem when i open GIMP the Left side window MENU opens and is rectangluar and the CENTER Window opens for the ART design work
    all the tutitorials show a RIGHT side window Menu to?
    i am trying to figure out where MINE Is or what do i CLICK on so i have THREE WINDOWS with the GIMP open to work ..THANKS Airriel
    Airriel, are you asking how to open your images to work on? If you already have an image in mind, you can right click on it and select "Open With Gimp Image Editor". When you do that, everything you need should open up with the image. If Gimp is already open, use the window with the Gimp with Wilber (the fox/dog looking thing with the paint brush in its mouth). File > open > then navigate to the image and select it to open.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Airriel, if you are going to spend significant time using Gimp, join one of the Gimp forums (GimpTalk, GimpChat, GimpForums); 75-80% of the Gimp users (and of the Gimp experts) are not on Linux while most questions and answers apply to all Gimp versions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast