Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.10-like distro?

Beans

Ubuntu 9.10-like distro?

I used to use Ubuntu 9.10 on this laptop, and it ran well with wobbly windows and was pretty smooth. I also really liked how easy it was to customize from the settings menu. However, since support ended for that, I've been dealing with 11.10 (I think), and it's not working too well for me. It lags horrendously when performing basic tasks (it's an old laptop, I only use it for word processing, light programming and surfing the interwebs), and I can't work out how to install new icon themes, change parts of the theme, write my own login screen (like I could on 9.10) et cetera. I'm using GNOME, by the way. I figured how to get everything changed on KDE but I don't really like KDE to be honest. Is there any distro like Ubuntu 9.10, or will I have to write my own? Or is there a way I can somehow have 9.10 with continued support? I tried looking for recent distros that might work, but they all make use of GNOME 3, and on this laptop that doesn't even load.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Sef; February 17th, 2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelled out idioms

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 9.10-like distro?

I think you would like Fuduntu, which uses the old Gnome 2 desktop.

http://fuduntu.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Give Linux Mint Mate 14 (32-bit) a spin.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Give Point Linux a try.

Or is there a way I can somehow have 9.10 with continued support?
    Once support is ended, it is unsupported permanently.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Hidden!

If you are mainly interested in a swift and responsive desktop environment on aging hardware (and not necessarily the same style as gneme 2), you can try the current versions of Lubuntu and Xubuntu. Xubuntu 12.04 LTS will be supported until April 2015. Lubuntu will be even faster, but there is no long time support version yet.

Beans

Thanks guys, I've just finished downloading Fuduntu. Once I figure out this Startup Disk creator thing I'll try it out. ^_^ Thanks for all the help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Not sure why you're going there. You'll have better support and therefore more chance of getting help with any problems using a more common flavour. Xubuntu or Lubuntu are good choices for older machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Not sure why you're going there. You'll have better support and therefore more chance of getting help with any problems using a more common flavour. Xubuntu or Lubuntu are good choices for older machines.
    Sorry, but that simply isn't true. We work directly with our user community and at times fix bugs while they wait. In addition Xubuntu and Lubuntu are ok platforms but we boot to ~160MB of RAM (32bit) and have a strong history of being highly tuned for performance on low horsepower devices.
    Last edited by fuduntu; February 18th, 2013 at 01:10 AM.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans

Well I have Fuduntu for now, which seems to be running more smoothly than Ubuntu was on this. I'm having some issues with software lists, but I'll take that to the Fuduntu forums.
    Thanks for everyone's help! ^_^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast