Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaky Wifi Connection with Xfinity Internet Ubuntu 12.0.4.1 lts

Beans

Shaky Wifi Connection with Xfinity Internet Ubuntu 12.0.4.1 lts

I just got Ubuntu Installed not too long ago, and for the first few days, Ubuntu was working fine with my internet. Now I have a shaky connection with my wifi, It goes from 4 bars to 2 bars and it'll be so slow that the webpage won't load and this happens randomly! I don't know anything about codes, I find that stuff really complicated and I don't know anything computer lingo really, Im a newbie, Im used to windows having everything for me. This shaky connection is really annoying and Im wondering if it's Ubuntu or Xfinity (Comcast Internet) because my internet worked great with windows. Help Please?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Shaky Wifi Connection with Xfinity Internet Ubuntu 12.0.4.1 lts

This is just a thought, seeing as you really haven't provided any information about your system. Have you tried rebooting your router, by pulling the plug for about 10 seconds, then plugging it in again?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    This is just a thought, seeing as you really haven't provided any information about your system. Have you tried rebooting your router, by pulling the plug for about 10 seconds, then plugging it in again?
    Thanks so much for replying and Yes, Ive called up comcast and everything. The customer service guy blamed Ubuntu, but I really don't think its the reason. What type of info do I need to provide for proper assistance? I'll take screenshots.

Beans

Shaky Xfinity Internet Wifi Connection

Hi Everyone, I am new to Ubuntu and I have problems connecting to my Xfinity Wireless Internet by Comcast.My connection is very hit and miss. 2 bars to 4 bars I've tried the disconnecting the router thing, and I'm assuming that the problem is deeper than that. I am not tech savvy so please explain step by step what I am supposed to do because I don't really understand computer vocabulary much. Here are some screenshots
    <removed attachments showing ssid and mac address>
    Last edited by varunendra; February 26th, 2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: removed attachments for OP's security

Beans

Re: Shaky Xfinity Internet Wifi Connection

Duplicate threads merged and moved to correct section.
    ----------------------------------

@ EvyBear,
    Please do not post multiple threads on same problem. Feel free to bump your thread after 24 hours if necessary.

If you think the thread is in wrong section, you can always use the "Report abuse" button (below each poster's profile) to request the mods/admins to move it to correct section of the forums.

I have removed your attachments for your security as they were showing your SSID and mac address, which may cause security issues.

Onto your problem -
    Please follow the "Wireless Script" link in my signature and post back its result here. It will give us everything we need to know initially. We may ask for more info as and if required later.

Thanks!
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Re: Shaky Xfinity Internet Wifi Connection

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Duplicate threads merged and moved to correct section.
    ----------------------------------

@ EvyBear,
    Please do not post multiple threads on same problem. Feel free to bump your thread after 24 hours if necessary.

If you think the thread is in wrong section, you can always use the "Report abuse" button (below each poster's profile) to request the mods/admins to move it to correct section of the forums.

I have removed your attachments for your security as they were showing your SSID and mac address, which may cause security issues.

Onto your problem -
    Please follow the "Wireless Script" link in my signature and post back its result here. It will give us everything we need to know initially. We may ask for more info as and if required later.

Thanks!
    Whoops! Im sorry.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EvyBear View Post
    I just got Ubuntu Installed not too long ago, and for the first few days, Ubuntu was working fine with my internet. Now I have a shaky connection with my wifi, It goes from 4 bars to 2 bars and it'll be so slow that the webpage won't load and this happens randomly! I don't know anything about codes, I find that stuff really complicated and I don't know anything computer lingo really, Im a newbie, Im used to windows having everything for me. This shaky connection is really annoying and Im wondering if it's Ubuntu or Xfinity (Comcast Internet) because my internet worked great with windows. Help Please?
    Code:
    mytoy@mytoy-Aspire-one:~$ wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
    --2013-02-26 18:36:14--  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script
    Resolving dl.dropbox.com (dl.dropbox.com)... 107.20.235.144, 107.20.182.97, 107.22.253.68, ...
    Connecting to dl.dropbox.com (dl.dropbox.com)|107.20.235.144|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 1555 (1.5K) [text/plain]
    Saving to: `wireless_script'

100%[======================================>] 1,555       --.-K/s   in 0s      

Last-modified header missing -- time-stamps turned off.
    2013-02-26 18:36:14 (16.5 MB/s) - `wireless_script' saved [1555/1555]

[sudo] password for mytoy: 
    mytoy@mytoy-Aspire-one:~$

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What kind of laptop do you have?

Beans

Acer One Aspire. My friend said its a really sucky laptop lol.
    Last edited by EvyBear; February 27th, 2013 at 01:56 AM. Reason: forgot a word.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

See this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1054629

I encountered a similar problem with my Toshiba, and this did the trick. The rundown is: copy and paste each of these commands into your Terminal:

sudo aptitude update

sudo aptitude install install linux-backports-modules-$(uname -r)

sudo modprobe ath5k

Then, reboot your system.

I saw your other thread, and I realize you're not all that comfortable with the terminal. Just copy and paste these commands one by one, and report back with your results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast