Thread: Steam not Starting

Beans

Steam not Starting

I tried to start Steam by clicking the icon on my desktop but nothing happens. I have had steam for about a year but am still a super noob at using it. I have reinstalled steam multiple times but its still the same, it still doesn't start. Its just blank absolutely nothing happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Steam not Starting

My 2cents is run it in the console and see what it says.
    If you are using 64bit ubuntu, its probably a multiarch issue(as in you need certain libs).

Cheers
    Have you used Steam for Linux yet? Give it a shot!
    Feel in love with Linux around 2006, and never looked back.
    All hail Tux!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Steam not Starting

Quote Originally Posted by samiscool30 View Post
    I tried to start Steam by clicking the icon on my desktop but nothing happens. I have had steam for about a year but am still a super noob at using it. I have reinstalled steam multiple times but its still the same, it still doesn't start. Its just blank absolutely nothing happens.
    A little more information would help us with your problem. What sort of machine are you running? What graphics card are you using? Are you running with the binary drivers for that card (eg are drivers even installed for your card).

Also, what happens when you run steam in a terminal? Open a terminal and type in "steam" without the quotation marks and copy and paste the error given on this forum and we can direct you further
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com