Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quicktime Videos Distorting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Quicktime Videos Distorting

Quote Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post
    Tested it with this video: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/i...nt/upsidedown/ and works for me - maybe network related at your site.
    Thanks, for the link! It worked.

Earlier today, my Chromium 26 (Canary) browser kept going to a248.e.akamai.net and Canary smelled a rat (security warnings galore). LoL!

Anyway, "Upside Down" looked great, once I got there...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    You could try playing a trailer directly in totem & see if any better. Using the prior posted link as example -
    Code:
    totem http://trailers.apple.com/movies/independent/upsidedown/upsidedown-tlr1_h720p.mov
    I tried that video in FF and also directly in totem, and I can confirm that colours are messed up into blurred areas considerable amount of time...

But with totem nothing new for me, but in this particular case it is really bad. That is the reason why I use VLC (not sure if vlc can handle quicktime videos, almost sure that it can't, but this type of video is rare for me...)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Budovi View Post
    I tried that video in FF and also directly in totem, and I can confirm that colours are messed up into blurred areas considerable amount of time...
    Okay, now I'm seeing it (Upside Down Trailer) ...

When I was watching the trailer in Chromium, it looked okay. The viewing port was so small, and the movie was so weird, I thought was it supposed to look that way.

When I watched it in Totem (fullscreen) the video was obviously messed up. I could pause it on the bad spots, fast-forward, and rewind it to the exact same spot(s), blah, blah, blah.

Personally, I think the clip, itself, is bad, e.g. has nothing to do with the player.

GIGO, you know?
    Last edited by VinDSL; February 17th, 2013 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

Those apple trailers do seem not as good as previously in either FF with the mozilla-plugin or totem itself, with or without grilo.
    (slight occasional breakup, ect.

On the other hand are quite fine on a win7 laptop & in Ubuntu with mplayer or grabbing the trailer & using vlc or mplayer. (the 'grabbed' video has the same display issues when played in totem

To test using same Ex.

Code:
    mplayer -user-agent 'QuickTime/7.6.2 (qtver=7.6.2;os=Windows NT 5.1Service Pack 3)'  http://trailers.apple.com/movies/independent/upsidedown/upsidedown-fte1_h720p.mov
    or to grab -
    Code:
    wget --user-agent='QuickTime/7.6.2 (qtver=7.6.2;os=Windows NT 5.1Service Pack 3)'  http://trailers.apple.com/movies/independent/upsidedown/upsidedown-fte1_h720p.mov
    Edit: - a little cross checking shows that there is an issue with some .mov's & gstreamer1.0. On a 12.10 install with totem 3.6.2 which uses gst-1.0 see the same misbehavior.
    Putting back totem-3.4 which uses gst-0.10 & the .mov's are fine. (as is in totem-mozilla

Having already spent more than enough time/effort with getting .mp4's & .mov's fixed in gst-0.10 am not inclined to pursue again. Maybe they fix in near future, maybe not.

Confirmed for myself by putting up a totem-3.4.3 install on 13.04, works fine with these .mov's in browser, locally from grabbed & in grilo, screen was one area among many where gst1.0 produced some garbage
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; February 17th, 2013 at 06:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I can confirm that is not working now on RR but on 12.04 it is working without a problem as 12.04 is using gst-0.10 so it is a problem with gst-1.0. Can somebody make a test whether a mp4 file work as mov is only a container for h264 videos (Apple trailers) as I have no spare disk at the moment for RR testing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post
    I can confirm that is not working now on RR but on 12.04 it is working without a problem as 12.04 is using gst-0.10 so it is a problem with gst-1.0. Can somebody make a test whether a mp4 file work as mov is only a container for h264 videos (Apple trailers) as I have no spare disk at the moment for RR testing.
    Would appear here to be limited to quicktime vid's with widely varying degree of affect.

Some are fine, others have slight amounts happening at certain 'spots', some are completely borked from beginning.

Checked from other sites, ex. nasa has quicktime -
    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/hd/HD...archive_1.html
    They are pretty ok with occasional breakups, ex. of that would be Authur mov, breaks here a bit starting around 24 sec.'s.

An ex. of real bad would be here, happens from the git go - (trailer1
    http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/marvel/ironman3/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    An ex. of real bad would be here, happens from the git go - (trailer1http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/marvel/ironman3/
    This one distorts here (Chromium Canary, FF Nightly) also... badly...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yeah, that was my observation...this is the first version of ubuntu i ever installed where quicktime videos didn't play flawlessly...in previous ubuntu's they always played extremely smoothly and always looked great...

Can't imagine what is wrong in 13.04 that causes this...i even tried re-installing the quicktime plug in but it didn't help...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Yeah, that was my observation...this is the first version of ubuntu i ever installed where quicktime videos didn't play flawlessly...in previous ubuntu's they always played extremely smoothly and always looked great...

Can't imagine what is wrong in 13.04 that causes this...i even tried re-installing the quicktime plug in but it didn't help...
    It's broken in gstreamer1.0 & it appears to have been for quite some time.
    (if you were to go to 12.10, add the gnome3 ppa & upgrade totem, gst-1.0, ect. you'll see the same behavior.
    Is not confined to the browser plugin, affects local quicktime files played thru any gstreamer media player.

Best bet is to file an upstream bug with a link or 2 to affected online files & maybe even a cut clip or 2.
    (10 sec's or so that demonstate should do

Beans

Didn't think anyone else would so here's a bug on.
    As it is there is no issue seen by dev in Debian sid, Fedora?, don't know, don't care.
    So whether fixable directly or inadvertently down the road, time will tell..
    https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=694230

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast