Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samba shares not visible by Windows 7 (12.04)

Beans

Question Samba shares not visible by Windows 7 (12.04)

Hi, I have just made a fresh install with 12.04LTS which comes with Samba 3.6.3. I have set up a number of shares using Webmin, it works just as it should and the fileserver (the netbios name) show up in Finder on OS X machines.

However, on Windows 7, the server does not show up under the network. I have spent the last two days going through possible solutions, one that seemed promising was the resolve order = bcast. This did not solve the problem however.

All computers are in the same workgroup and smbtree returns all computers, including the Windows 7 machines. All users are present on both UNIX and Samba. Security is by groups (only one group so far), and per folder. All folders are mode 770. The server IP is static with a DHCP enabled router in the network (dsl modem).

I feel that I have tried everything suggested by Google by now, anyone have any idea of what might be the problem?

Code:
    [global]
            log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
            passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n$
            obey pam restrictions = yes
            force group = staff
            map to guest = bad user
            encrypt passwords = true
            passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
            passdb backend = tdbsam
            dns proxy = no
            netbios name = fileserver
            writeable = yes
            server string =
            path = /home
            unix password sync = yes
            workgroup = WORKGROUP
            os level = 20
            valid users = @sudo,@staff
            syslog = 0
            security = user
            usershare allow guests = yes
            panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
            max log size = 1000
            pam password change = yes
    Example share

Code:
    [PAM]
            create mode = 770
            path = /home/PAM
            directory mode = 770

[CORE]
            create mode = 770
            path = /home/CORE
            directory mode = 770

[MEDIA]
            create mode = 770
            path = /home/MEDIA
            directory mode = 770

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Samba shares not visible by Windows 7 (12.04)

Hi

Try typing in the address bar in windows explorer:

\\<ip of server>

eg

\\192.168.1.50

then hit enter

Hope this helps!

Barry
    Desktop: Z77X-UD5H, Intel i7 3770k, NVidia GeForce 660 Ti Sli 16GB DDR3 RAM 2TB HDD
    OSes: Mint 14 x64 Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430
    OSes: Ubuntu 13.04 x64, Backtrack 5 R3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Try avoiding setting up shares with Webmin. Use ssh. In fact, try not to use webmin at all. I have read somewhere that it's not in the repositories for a reason, it handles config files differently.

For example, your [global] section is extremely big. I don't know whether that's because of webmin, or you need all those options, but I'be never seen such a large section.

Try accessing the server by IP, not in Network.

Try setting up share through ssh and see if it can be detected and used.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Try avoiding setting up shares with Webmin. Use ssh. In fact, try not to use webmin at all. I have read somewhere that it's not in the repositories for a reason, it handles config files differently.

For example, your [global] section is extremely big. I don't know whether that's because of webmin, or you need all those options, but I'be never seen such a large section.

Try accessing the server by IP, not in Network.

Try setting up share through ssh and see if it can be detected and used.
    Just to clarify, it works fine mapping the shares in Windows 7 by simply inputting the IP of the Linux machine. The problem is that the server does not show up under the Network tab in Windows Explorer like it should as a SMB resource.

I will try to remove the force user and valid groups from global and see if that helps.

Beans

Make your samba server as a server for those names.
    Add to global section of /etc/samba/smb.conf

domain master = yes
    local master = yes
    preferred master = yes

os level = 65

wins support = yes

Depending of the operating systems found in your local network, the most suitable for that will take care of the names.
    In a windows world NT is the strongest. 7 and Xp are little bit weaker (in this case).
    Os level number tells to the other computers how 'strong' it is. The better the number, it will will the lottery when they compete each other.

os level = 65 tells that it will win all the windows machines and your samba will come as your local name server in this case.
    I guess there don't have to be nesseccary that domain master line in a conf file but maybe you could try and see.
    Last edited by Jasoni; February 18th, 2013 at 01:34 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoni View Post
    Make your samba server as a server for those names.
    Add to global section of /etc/samba/smb.conf

domain master = yes
    local master = yes
    preferred master = yes

os level = 65

wins support = yes

Depending of the operating systems found in your local network, the most suitable for that will take care of the names.
    In a windows world NT is the strongest. 7 and Xp are little bit weaker (in this case).
    Os level number tells to the other computers how 'strong' it is. The better the number, it will will the lottery when they compete each other.

os level = 65 tells that it will win all the windows machines and your samba will come as your local name server in this case.
    I guess there don't have to be nesseccary that domain master line in a conf file but maybe you could try and see.
    Thanks, will try.

Beans

Im having the exact same issue with the same setup. I just tried the above changes there was no change

Any other ideas?

Thanks Hammo

Beans
    Distro

What same issue exactly? The OP said the shares work fine if accessed by IP but the server name doesn't appear in Network, etc. For me, that is not a huge deal.

Also, the OP has a large number of options in the [global] section of smb.conf as I pointed out in my post. Do you need so many options, or you want to do simple shares? For simple shares you only need few lines in smb.conf and I wouldn't use webmin, again, as I pointed out in my post.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Sorry for not explaining in more detail.

My samba shares also work if I manually input the ip address or hostname of the file server.
    I also have a large amount of options in global but that is to deal with the fact that my share is accessed by linux, windows and mac computers here at home. Basically its all our music, photo's and movies. Everyone needs full read/write access, hence so many options.

I do not use webmin its all done by console via ssh.

My mates come over for lan partys frequently and it would be nice if the shares showed up in there network places rather then me having to tell em all the ip/hostname. I use it to shares maps and stuff for csgo rather then us all dl them. I have to say ubuntu server runs csgo dedicated server quite well

I know this is not a huge issue its just annoying that it doesn't show up. I have googled for a few hours to try and find solution but to no avail.
    Also this smb.conf used to show shares in network places before I moved the server to the grannyflat and installed Ubuntu Server 12.04.

I can post my smb.conf and also dhcp.conf for you to have a boo peep at if your interested. I think it may be an error in my dhcp server config somewhere.

Thanks for taking the time to help people out too!!

Hammo

Beans
    Distro

Unfortunately, I'm not a big expert for samba especially with complex permissions/shares.

But if you want RW open shares for all, it's very easy. I have my server set up at home with only few lines in smb.conf. I repeat, I have shares open for RW to all, no usernames and passwords are necessary.

You said in your home everyone needs full RW access which sounds like what I've got. I can post you screenshots from putty session (the server is headless of course) of my setup. Works fine from win7 and ubuntu.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast