Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Install Error Ubuntu 12.10: Unable To Find A Medium Containing A Live File System

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Install Error Ubuntu 12.10: Unable To Find A Medium Containing A Live File System

I think zsync only works from Linux.

With UEFI you need 12.10, but they very new 12.04.2 has been updated to work with UEFI also.

Some of the slightly older versions started to work with UEFI but there have been major updates with each version. So I cannot recommend any older versions for use with UEFI.

Windows has very specific partition requirements which you should plan for if dual booting with Windows and installing yourself.

You will not have the vendor recovery partition but should end up with all the others. The efi partition is used by all operating systems so only one is allowed.

Windows Recommended UEFI-Based Disk-Partition Configurations
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
    Change the booting style of Windows Vista or 7 x86_64 versions from BIOS-MBR mode to UEFI-GPT mode without formatting or reinstalling
    https://gitorious.org/tianocore_uefi...4_BIOS_to_UEFI
    Windows installs the efi bootloader to (ESP)/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ which is identical to (WINDOWS_SYSTEM_PART)/boot/microsoft/ incase of BIOS systems.
    The dir mainly consists of bootmgfw.efi, bootmgr.efi, memtest.efi and 'bcd'.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Re: Install Error Ubuntu 12.10: Unable To Find A Medium Containing A Live File System

Sharing frustration:
    I have been trying to fix this exact problem all weekend using different images on the USB stick. The I realized that it could't find the stick at all, so I gave up and dug up a writable DVD and burned the image.

Then I couldn't figure out how to get it to boot from the DVD so now I'm booting from the USB but installing from the DVD. Now it seems to install though, although my mousepad is not working.

Will report back in a little while when the install is done.

Edit: So everything seems to work fine Really glad to be out of that Windows 8 trap.
    Last edited by LosButcher; February 18th, 2013 at 06:41 PM.

Beans

I'm having that problem, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

You need to provide more information.

Which hardware?
    Exactly which error?
    What have you tried to solve it?
    Which results did you get?
    - and so on.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    You need to provide more information.

Which hardware?
    Exactly which error?
    What have you tried to solve it?
    Which results did you get?
    - and so on.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475
    I'm getting the "Busybox Unable to find a live file System" error message, and I have an HP Pavilion zd7160 laptop from 2003. The laptop also has a hardware problem, it shuts off when there is too much HD activity. That's why I wanted to try Ubuntu, to see if it would stay on longer with the less demanding OS than Windows XP.

I tried Puppylinux and it installed okay except for all of the missing icons and text.

Oh, and it's a 32 bit system.

And I'm installing from the DVD drive in the laptop.
    Last edited by st4; April 18th, 2013 at 06:22 PM.

Beans

I had the same problem with my new Sony Vaio SVT1313 trying to install Ubuntu 12.10 64bit.

I though I tried everything until desperetaly plugged the usb stick to a USB3.0 port and got it working. UEFI is enabled.

-Matti

Beans

Maybe Xubuntu would be a better choice for my messed up laptop.

Beans
    Distro

Most likely, and booting from USB is also a good idea, if your BIOS supports it.
    Last edited by mrgs; April 18th, 2013 at 08:09 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    Most likely, and booting from USB is also a good idea, if your BIOS supports it.
    I didn't know about Lubuntu, that one works pretty well on my laptop. Thnx for the tip.

Beans
    Distro

You're welcome. Please pass it on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast