Thread: steam for linux

Beans

steam for linux

so is Ubuntu going to be OK for Steam?

Bringing games over to Linux would make more market but most Linux users use it as Windows is too expensive.

Steam has lots of games < $5

Beans

Question Re: steam for linux

I asked on another thread...but what exactly is steam? Is it like wine but for games? Forgive my question...Pretty new to linux.

ego-

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: steam for linux

Steam is pretty much a digital game library, where you can download and buy game, demos and software on it. It's somewhat cloud based in the sense that your account will have game ownership saved on it and saves saved on it, so you can download the same games on another computer with your account and still have your saves on it. It also has an Xbox Live like community with free online multiplayer for games, achievements for games and the ability to add friends and talk with them through microphone. It's very useful for PC gaming, right now Valve is in the progress of porting over games to Steam for Linux there are over 60 games available for Linux, expect to see many more coming soon as well! Can't wait for Counter Strike: Global Offensive!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Beans

steam for linux is advertising ubuntu.. think they wrote the program to work specifically with it..

i think you will be ok.. i been using it for a few days and i been playing team fortress 2 with no issues.. i cant wait till they add new games..

right now i been playing dota 2 with steam on wine with no issues, so that is working too..

you will probably want a nvidia video card instead of an ati one tho..
    not saying you cant get it to work with ati.. but i heard bad things about linux and ati.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

I have been running Steam and tf2 for a couple of weeks (from when Steam was still beta, updates automatically) and it seems to work fine. Played some rounds on the Ubuntu canonical tf2 server this weekend. I just need to expand my Linux partition because games can take up a bit of space (the tf2 download said it was going to need about 10 GB).
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans

Hi folks,

http://steamdb.info/linux/

This is a list of apps that show signs of (upcoming) Linux support on Steam.

Entries listed here might still be undergoing testing, and are not all publically available.

This list is in no way official, for the official list go http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/