Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 installation doesn't detect hard drive

Beans

Ubuntu 10.10 installation doesn't detect hard drive

When I try to install Ubuntu 10.10 on my desktop, the partitions menu that appears during the installation doesn't detect my sata hard drive. I have Windows 7 on a partition, left a space unpartitioned, then tried to install it. CouÁdn't detect the disk, so I booted to live ubuntu, and created a ext3 partiton with Gparted, it still doesn't detect. Also tried completly formating the disc. Still Doesn't detect. The strange thing is that in the ubuntu desktop when i boot with Live usb, the disk is there. I was also able to create the partition as i described before.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 installation doesn't detect hard drive

Couple of ideas ...

First, 10.10 uses Ext4, not Ext3. That could be why it won't let you select the partition even if it DOES see it. Reformat it as Ext4 and see if that makes any difference.

Second, I've first-hand experience with situations in which the alternate CD installer handles partitioning a lot better than the desktop CD. Don't ask me why -- as they are both supposed to be using the same installer -- but I've seen that myself.

So, if the first change doesn't work, download the Alternate CD and see if that installer is able to see either the Ext4 partition, or after you remove it, the free space.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Mate, Mint 17.1; MS Win 8.1, Win10 TP.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    First, 10.10 uses Ext4, not Ext3. That could be why it won't let you select the partition even if it DOES see it. Reformat it as Ext4 and see if that makes any difference.
    I'll add my 2 cents.. I have my 10.10 installed using partition1(/) as ext3 and partition2(/home) also as ext3. I did this simply out of personal choice. That said, 10.10 seems to have no issues running under ext3 as far as I'm aware.

Still, some other things come to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by aeromorph View Post
    When I try to install Ubuntu 10.10 on my desktop, the partitions menu that appears during the installation doesn't detect my sata hard drive. I have Windows 7 on a partition, left a space unpartitioned, then tried to install it. CouÁdn't detect the disk, so I booted to live ubuntu, and created a ext3 partiton with Gparted, it still doesn't detect. Also tried completly formating the disc. Still Doesn't detect. The strange thing is that in the ubuntu desktop when i boot with Live usb, the disk is there. I was also able to create the partition as i described before.
    First one that pops in my head is that I have had some problems installing Ubuntu (and other distros) if the storage devices are in what I call "unexpected" order. For example, on one of my systems, for some reason, if I use primary IDE master for the hard disk, and Secondary IDE slave for the DVD, things go wonky. But, as soon as I put the DVD on Secondary IDE master, the problem goes away.

You say that you have the LiveUSB loaded and you see your hard disk. Could you simply click on install in the LiveUSB session and go forward or does it also not see your hard disk at this point? Also, keeping my first thought in mind, and since you are on LiveUSB and not LiveCD, I would suggest disconnecting all SATA/IDE storage devices except your hard disk, keep the hard disk on SATA port 1 (or zero depending on your mainboard numbering scheme) or Primary IDE master - making your hard disk the first and only drive on those channels, and test the result.

I have also had some trouble with certain CD/DVD drives - no matter where they are. An older Sony CD-ROM caused me no end to trouble that is similar to this, so perhaps just disconnect your CD/DVD drive for the heck of it.
    "I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate."

Beans

First of all, thanks for the replies... I'm going crazy with this problem, as I'm enjoying so much to use Ubuntu on my laptop. =)
    I already tried running the installation from the Live , and it still didn't see the drive. If i have the external drives connected, they all appear in the partitions menu. Also tried formatin entire HD, just leaving all space unallocated, spliting in two partitions, ont with windows and other with ext3 (as I said before) but also tried ext4... I'll try to connect the disc to other SATA port then I'll let you know if it was any good...

No.. Connecting the disk to other sata ports didn't help...
    Last edited by aeromorph; October 29th, 2010 at 05:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro

CouÁdn't detect the disk, so I booted to live ubuntu, and created a ext3 partiton with Gparted, it still doesn't detect ... with Live usb, the disk is there. I was also able to create the partition as i described before.
    So I am just a little bit confused here, and need some clarification. You say you booted in to live Ubuntu and created an ext3 partition with GParted - at which time your hard disk must have been detected or you wouldn't be able to create the partition. Perhaps you could explain a little more what you mean by "doesn't detect"? Do you mean that you can't see your hard disk at all (like /dev/sda) during install, or that when you try to load after installation, it doesn't detect your install?

Beans

Theat's the weird part... I can boot with live usb, and Ubuntu and G-parted both see the disk, but the partitions menu that appears only during the instalation doesn't!(the one where we choose the disk ad manage the partitions where we want to intall) The partitions list is empty and the deviced list is also empty. But, Ubuntu and G-parted still can see the disk.

Beans
    Distro

I can boot with live usb, and Ubuntu and G-parted both see the disk, but the partitions menu that appears only during the instalation doesn't.
    Okay, probably the next thing to try would be to download the "Alternate" install image and try with that. I have had to do this a few times with some hardware. Give that a go and post your results. In the meantime, I will see what else I can come up with.

Hm, it occurs to me that you might also set your BIOS for "legacy" or "compatible" mode for the hard disk controller and see if the same problem still exists. We could be seeing a hardware combination that is slightly incompatible. Since it's just the installer having the issue, changing the BIOS setting might let you install, and you can change it back later to regain your performance.
    Last edited by darkhelmetchris; October 29th, 2010 at 08:21 PM.

Beans

Talking Re: Ubuntu 10.10 installation doesn't detect hard drive

I also have similar problem. But the different is Gpart not detect my partition. I really glad because i found this forum .. (sorry for my broken English)

Beans

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't abandon the post, just was in a short time period.. =)
    I tried everything described by this far... Still doesn't work. I'll probably quit trying... Thanks for all the help!

Beans

hi i have been haveing the sme problem i can mount the drives i can view the files and folders on the drives i also have windows vista installed on the drive but when i run the install i will get as far as slecting a partition page but it dosent seem to load the partition table

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast