Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: video problem with google chrome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: video problem with google chrome

I've seen the yellow snow as well in Chrome. Switching to HTML5 changes it to orange snow. Have yet to find joy. Can find no reference to Pepper Flash in the Chrome preferences.

In the meantime I'm using FireFox instead of Chrome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Further on this. I recently installed Ubuntu 12.10 on a bunch of older laptops. I followed the exact same procedure on all of them except that one of the laptops was newer and had a 64 bit CPU, so that one got the 64 bit version instead. It is only that 64 bit machine that exhibits this issue. Today I sparked up a few of the 32 bit laptops and they are fine.

On Friday I should be getting another 64 bit laptop back and will see what that one does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So much for the 64 bit theory. I installed the 64 bit version on another HP laptop, this time an EliteBook 8540w and it is on its best behaviour.

On Friday I got anther 6510b back that is identical to the one I have yellow/orange snow on. I removed Windows from it and started to install 12.10 on it but ran out of time to test. When I get back to it Monday I will have to see if I can repro the issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

OK, got back at the 6510b today... didn't install anything else except Ubuntu and Chrome this time. No backports... no updates.

It has the same snow as the other 6510b so it's something specific to this model.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I believe chrome defaults to pepper if there is no other flash version installed. There was another thread started about this problem with in the last couple of weeks so it may help if you can locate it . I just revived a chrome update moments 3-4-13 a ago so up to date before doing anything if not already.

See the link. http://askubuntu.com/questions/24331...cts-in-youtube
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have installed Ubuntu onto several laptops using the exact same steps so except for hardware specific differences, they all have essentially the same software and the same config.

This are the chrome://flash report for the 8540w which works:
    Google Chrome 25.0.1364.97 ()
    OS Linux
    Flash plugin 11.6.602.171 /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so
    Flash plugin 11.2 r202 /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so (not used)

The 6510b is identical but produces snow. The second more recently built 6510b has a slightly newer version of Chrome but it still doesn't work.

I also installed Ubuntu/Chrome on models nc4200, nc4400, nc6220, and nc6320 and they all work fine. It is only the 6510b that does not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by robenroute View Post
    Vasa1, I'll purge chrome and see what happens after I reinstall it... (firefox uses Adobe's flash plug-in and that works fine all right).

Thanks anyway.

Still, even wit hthe latest chrome updates, videos are still speckled...
    Linux #416781 - Ubuntu #9075
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ―George Bernard Shaw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

And the story continues: release 26 is out and the annoying artifacts are still here. What is going on? Might it be a video driver issue? I'm on a laptop with the Intel 965 chipset sporting Intel X3100 integrated graphics and I have run into several graphics issues (instability in general).
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ―George Bernard Shaw

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hi Chris this is a known issue with some installations with google's flashplayer. here's some info on how you can fix it.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kc1di View Post
    Hi Chris this is a known issue with some installations with google's flashplayer. here's some info on how you can fix it.
    Thanks for the response and link, but there is no "pepper-flash" or "out-of-process" plugin listed in my chrome plugins list/page...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast