Thread: Pangolin, VirtualBox, Win XP, UEFI, and GPT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Pangolin, VirtualBox, Win XP, UEFI, and GPT

As I understand it, Windows XP doesn't support UEFI. Ubuntu 12.04 does. I am currently running Ubuntu 12.04 in legacy boot mode and would like to convert to UEFI and GPT. However, I don't want to cause problems for my Windows XP system that is running in a VirtualBox VM under Ubuntu 12.04. Does anyone know whether Ubuntu 12.04 utilizing UEFI and GPT can host a Windows XP system running in VirtualBox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Pangolin, VirtualBox, Win XP, UEFI, and GPT

Quote Originally Posted by acag View Post
    As I understand it, Windows XP doesn't support UEFI. Ubuntu 12.04 does. I am currently running Ubuntu 12.04 in legacy boot mode and would like to convert to UEFI and GPT. However, I don't want to cause problems for my Windows XP system that is running in a VirtualBox VM under Ubuntu 12.04. Does anyone know whether Ubuntu 12.04 utilizing UEFI and GPT can host a Windows XP system running in VirtualBox?
    VMs run in their own environment, they have nothing whatsoever to do with the boot environment of the host machine.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate.
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Re: Pangolin, VirtualBox, Win XP, UEFI, and GPT

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    VMs run in their own environment, they have nothing whatsoever to do with the boot environment of the host machine.
    My understanding of this statement is that I can have Ubuntu boot with UEFI and have an XP VM in Virtualbox boot with Legacy. Is that correct?