Couldn't find the answer to this specific question searching at large, or in this forum.

I am running Lubuntu 12.10 and have started using Cairo-Dock with xcompmgr. It runs very well and I prefer it to the lxpanel. I want to disable the panel.

I added a Cairo dock autostart to my ~/.config/autostart and that works fine.

The problem is how to STOP lxpanel from starting. I can do it by commenting or remove the lxpanel line from /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart but that will cause it to stop launching globally. If I have another user, or a guest user on my machine, they should have the generic Lubuntu experience. So.. I want to NOT launch lxpanel for MY user account (and launch cairodock in its place), but I want to continue launching lxpanel globally.

One method that came to mind is writing a script to kill lxpanel that could be called by my local user's autostart folder but that seems really hacky.

The only clean implementation I can think of is to have the per-user autostart file allow for negations.

So, if global autostart contains
@lxpanel --option1 --option2

and if /home/userX/.config/autostart/autostart (or similar) has
-@lxpanel

That would cause lxpanel to launch for everybody who does NOT have a negating entry in their personal autostart file.

Any thoughts or solutions to my problem?