Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Way to refund cost of Windows License for new comp purchase?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Way to refund cost of Windows License for new comp purchase?

Dell won't sell me a laptop computer that doesn't have Windows on it. I have to have Ethernet so ultrabook won't do.

Anybody know if there's anyway to get a refund for the Windows License cost AFTER I take possession of the order? Since I will be using Ubuntu, I prefer not to pay for Windows. None of the Company's that preload Ubuntu have a system with the specs and price I want. But Dell does.

The thing that really irritates me is how you HAVE to pay for Windows. What about consumers who have purchased a Retail Windows License? They plan to install their retail license onto a new computer--yet they will have to pay for a Windows license (even though they won't use it) with the purchase of the new computer. This is so wrong! It should be illegal.

Beans

Re: Way to refund cost of Windows License for new comp purchase?

The cost of the Windows license usually gets offset by the advertisement money that Dell gets from putting trial-crap on your new windows machine. Hence Linux machines don't save you money.

I claim that this is still a violation of the free market, but there is little to be done. MS is making money not due to a good product, but due to monopoly control over the market.

Supporting free market is a reason to ask for your money back, but getting a Linux compatible hardware is another good reason. Once I got a windows laptop and put Linux on it and even thought I made it work, I had to deal with years of constant struggle. It is just not worth it.

I suggest going over all of the Linux sites and settling for the best Linux laptop that you can find, rather than tying to get money from Dell or dealing with incompatible hardware.

What is it that you need in a machine that you cannot get from System 76 or ZaReason or the other sites?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You do what you can and don't do what you can't. Yes it appears unfair but there is no point going off at the poor shop assistant - it's not his fault.

Just buy the best you can afford and go all out Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Talking Re: Way to refund cost of Windows License for new comp purchase?

Makes me wonder:
    What is it that you need in a machine that you cannot get from System 76 or ZaReason or the other sites?

You might have added "self build"I bought an Ultrabook (ASUS UX31a) here in Mexico, from Telmex. It came with MS Windows, "7" no choice, good price.

Two things, I would have spent too much time chasing Microsoft for the money, and I wanted to try the "Zenbook" with Windows. WIN 7 is a terrible piece of work.

No option was offered. There is a way to recover the License cost (fee, ripoff etc),
    but very difficult and time consuming. Is this practice legal ? In theory, yes.

Perhaps looking at the MacBook Air might be a better example. If you don't like OS/X,
    well, thats' tough. Recover the License fee and switch to Linux ?

The Zen Ultrabook runs far better on Ubuntu 12.04.1, and OS/X is also a ripoff, think about it, although most Apple worshippers won't.
    ag
    Pay now, or pay later, there's no free lunch.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AllenGG View Post
    Makes me wonder:

You might have added "self build"I bought an Ultrabook (ASUS UX31a) here in Mexico, from Telmex. It came with MS Windows, "7" no choice, good price.
    I know that there are machines offered with Windows that are not offered with Linux. The reason why I am asking is because we (community and I) may know of a suitable Linux machine that OP hasn't been able to find. Then we can help avoid the MS tax.

I would never go for a non-Linux machine regardless of specs. I would just love to have the retina display of OSX, but I will not spend the money on an overprices Mac machine just to pray that I may be able to get Linux working on it.

Price is another matter, when it comes to money, sometimes you have no choice.

Beans

I wouldn't wish Microsoft customer service on anyone honestly my laptop came with windows 7 but can't be bothered
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm not sure you can refund the license because usually the laptop comes bundled with crap which is meant to "pay for it".

That being said.. if you plan on putting Linux on it then it wont make much difference. Try looking at it from the bright side, you get a "free" Windows license
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post

First, the above vendors don't sell matte screens. System76 has a matte screen but only on 15.6". I need something smaller.

Second, System76 and ZaReason do not sell laptops with middle-mouse-buttons. The Dell Latitude/Zostros and Lenovo ThinkPads all have middle-mouse-buttons (a must have item for me). Also, I like to have the track-ball/upper-row mouse-buttons that the Latitudes/Thinkpads have.

Third, I always try to buy IPS screen. Sometimes I can get IPS screen from Dell/Lenovo, but never from System76 or ZaReason.

Fourth, I like having screens that can bend back about 180 degrees. Thinkpads can do this.

Fifth, I love the quality of the ThinkPad laptop keyboards. I love the 2011 layout (with big huge Esc & Delete keys), design, and typing experience better than any other laptop I've tried. And I've tried keyboards from System76.

For these reasons, I rarely buy laptops from any vendors other than Dell/Lenovo (Lenovo being top).

I would love to buy from ZaReason/System76, and I have contacted them and expressed my desire for these features on their computers. Hopefully eventually they will develop models that have them.

Beans

Thanks for the input, guys.

I just wanted to say that I found this link ( http://www.techulator.com/resources/...Windows-8.aspx ) which suggests that I should contact the manufacturer of my laptop (Acer) instead of Microsoft so, would you guys recommend that I actually do that? I'm kind of tired right now and I'm going to be busy again tomorrow so, I still have time to learn more about this before I consider calling.

Also, I think someone here said that you cannot transfer the Windows license to another computer but, the "Can I transfer the software to another computer or user?" section ( http://download.microsoft.com/Docume...6e0e0260a6.pdf ) says you can. (Just saying if anybody cares.)
    Apps for Ubuntu (outdated) ---> http://cid-23a283fc1010a1bb.skydrive...%20Wine|6?uc=1
    Use Mnemosyne to Study for School!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Yeah I do not think you could get a refund, if you have netflix watch a movie called "revolution OS" which is about Linux. One of the things they talk about is how according to Microsoft you are suppose to get a refund on unused Windows but very few people could pull it off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast