Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu on ASUS VivoTab RT TF600T (preinstalled Windows RT)

Beans

Question Installing Ubuntu on ASUS VivoTab RT TF600T (preinstalled Windows RT)

Hi everyone!

I have an ARM based tablet (ASUS VivoTab RT on Tegra 3) with preinstalled Windows RT. But I'm going to install Ubuntu 12.10 for ARM (armhf+omap4.iso) on my tablet! Sad, but my tablet has an UEFI & Secure Boot, that complicate the installation process At the same time, is wrote, that Ubuntu 12.10 supports Secure Boot & UEFI by default! Does it mean, that bootable flash-card within Ubuntu 12.10 distributive for ARM, created in Ubuntu 12.10 (installed on my PC), may be used to install ARM-Ubuntu on my tablet? Otherwise Canonical bootloader (with secure boot & UEFI support) is allowed to be used with x86 machines only???

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu on ASUS VivoTab RT TF600T (preinstalled Windows RT)

I am also looking to do this but can't find any information specific to this tablet.

Have you tried it yet with any results? Apparently secure boot cannot be disabled on this device

Mandatory. Enable/Disable Secure Boot. On non-ARM systems, it is required to implement the ability to disable Secure Boot via firmware setup. A physically present user must be allowed to disable Secure Boot via firmware setup without possession of PKpriv. A Windows Server may also disable Secure Boot remotely using a strongly authenticated (preferably public-key based) out-of-band management connection, such as to a baseboard management controller or service processor. Programmatic disabling of Secure Boot either during Boot Services or after exiting EFI Boot Services MUST NOT be possible. Disabling Secure Boot must not be possible on ARM systems.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../jj128256.aspx
    Also I don't know if it is possible to boot the device from usb storage or flash memory.

This is very annoying :@ I have bought the device and I should be allowed run whatever software I wish on it.
    Last edited by vitj; February 25th, 2013 at 11:14 PM.

Beans

Yes, you right - its impossible to disable secure boot in ARM devices. But, on the other hand, its possible to boot from flashcard (usb-ctick). You need to press Vol- button and, holding it, turn on the tablet. I did it when recover my system in ASUS Vivo Tab RT from bootable usb-stick with Windows RT (you can create recovery usb-stick in Win RT beforehand). But process of Win RT recovering from flashcard is fully automatical, without any user manipulation (do you remember - secure boot!). So, if we want to install Ubuntu on ASUS VivoTab RT, we should make installation process fully automatical also. Or make it startable right in Win RT (like installation process of ubuntu for x86 can be started in x86 Windows).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Denis63 View Post
    So, if we want to install Ubuntu on ASUS VivoTab RT, we should make installation process fully automatical also. Or make it startable right in Win RT (like installation process of ubuntu for x86 can be started in x86 Windows).
    So in essence we nead an ARM port of wubi (and whatever else that entails, if feasible). My experience does not lie in this area but as I purchased the device in a foreign country and cannot exchange it for a different model I must seek an alternative as I am not content with running windows.

I am going to seek further input at http://forum.xda-developers.com/ and see if anyone there can provide guidance (or if any members of the community have any input it would be much appreciated ). I would imagine the hardware to be `fairly similar` to the line of android based transformers sold by asus so don't think there would be any hardware issues with running linux on this device.

Have you tried booting the arm image of ubuntu while holding the -volume button? What was the result of this? I ask because the device was bought from me by a relative (yes after explicitly requesting an android based device:@) and I am yet to take possession of it.

On the plus side at least software like vim and putty have been ported to arm and can run on a jailbroken windows rt install http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2092348

Beans

Glad you're intersted in this topic! About xda conference - I'm registered in this resource. So, what I want to tell - xda is a place for crazy geeks, not for interested everyman like me. Yes, I can jailbrake Win RT in my ASUS Vivo Tab RT, but most part of ported apps is usefull for geeks only (Vim, putty etc). I can create recovery Win RT usb-stick or installable usb stick with Ubuntu. But I can't create UEFI-bootloader emulator to install (to port) Win RT on other ARM-based tablets, like Cotulla did it with HTC. Unfortunatelly, Cotulla didn't give us the solution ((( So, I had a wish, to have ASUS transformer pad Infinity TF700 with ported Win RT, but I still have not... Also with Ububntu for this tablet (TF700) - becose of secure boot, one of the xda members is being creating special distributive of this OS with fully automatical installationn process. Yea, we still can't install ARM version of ubuntu on ARM-based tablets without serious changes in official distributive (((

About my ASUS TF600T - I will try to install tablet version of Ubuntu later, at the moment, when this version become adecuate, without serious glitches ))) Installation of Ubuntu 12.10 for ARM gave me black screen for too long time. I decided, that installation process stopped on the one of non-automatical moments (creating of disk partitions or language choosing or starting options - installation or live cd mode). So, I stopped trying any more.

Beans

After reading more into this I now beleive it is impossible unless someone hacks the firmware on the device. The bootloader requires micrsoft private key and I doubt they are willing to give that out.

So annoying, so so annoying. If I had any idea on how to hack the firmware I would but unfotunatly that is not my area of expertise.

Beans

I have not tried this yet, as I need to create a restore image first and backup my boot settings. But I am going to try run
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard
    from an adminstrator command prompt to see if that will disable secure boot. The reason why is I am curious if microsoft just disabled the menu for disabling secure boot and it is actually possible to disable it. Will report back with findings.
    Last edited by vitj; March 15th, 2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by vitj View Post
    I have not tried this yet, as I need to create a restore image first and backup my boot settings. But I am going to try run

from an adminstrator command prompt to see if that will disable secure boot. The reason why is I am curious if microsoft just disabled the menu for disabling secure boot and it is actually possible to disable it. Will report back with findings.
    Any update on this??

Beans

No I am now perfectly happy with windows rt....

Hahaha actually no I haven't tried it yet just haven't really had the need to use the device and have been busy with other things. I recommend posting in this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2211825 where people a lot more knowledgable than me are talking about dual booting this device.

Beans

There is an exploit for the bootload on the vivotab however the dev who discovered it is keeping it secret https://twitter.com/Myriachan/status/364314152560377856

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast