Thread: Virus Wall

Beans

Question Virus Wall

I want to set up a server that will block out viruses from traffic that passes through it, therefore eliminating viruses from any Windows PCs connected to the network. How would I do it?
    Too many cooks don't spoil the broth with Linux, and Ubuntu is the best broth!

Mint-Ireland, Ubuntu-UK, SUSE-Germany, Fedora-USA, ROSA-From Russia, with Love!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Virus Wall

I don't see why you would want to do this. Even in large networks the virus software is loaded onto the client. Plus I believe it would put extra unnecessary load on the server too.
    Try not to be a man of success but be a man of value
    USE FUL LINKS
    Ubuntu Server setup guide
    setting up a DNS Server on Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chrisguk View Post
    I don't see why you would want to do this. Even in large networks the virus software is loaded onto the client. Plus I believe it would put extra unnecessary load on the server too.
    In the vast majority of large and commerical networks AV/Anti Malware solutions reside on a server first of all aside form the client side solution.

Most firewalls/email servers will do active scanning using the same solutions as client side but optimised for servers or enterprise environments.

Juniper
    Barracuda
    Checkpoint

etc etc all offer or are usually configured with a AV solution to filter out this type of stuff before it hits the client.

One example: http://www.kaspersky.com/anti-virus_checkpoint_firewall
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

You could set up Squid as a proxy server, then set up scanning with clamav. I think there are some projects out there that have this all setup, like http://squidclamav.darold.net/.

Clamav isn't a great AV engine, but maybe you can integrate other AV engines with squid.