Thread: Uninstalling a duplicate Linux Mint OS

Hybrid View

Beans

Uninstalling a duplicate Linux Mint OS

Hi. I have a duplicate Linux Mint OS on my laptop. I think the way that the duplicate OS was inadvertantly installed was when I was having some initial trouble installing Mint and had inadvertanty installed it on /dev/sda10. The operating system that I am currently using (and have been using regularly) is on /dev/sda11. According to Boot-Repair the boot loader is installed on same.

I have done a bit of research and found some information that pertains to Ubuntu. Currently, the OS I am using is Mint 14 (Nadia).

(1)One of the links that I have gone to is here> askubuntu.com/questions/13052/how-to-remove-a-duplicate-ubuntu-installation-without-ruining-os-boot-menu.

That gave me some information but I dont think all that I was looking for.

(2) I was wondering that if I undertook the following procedure that I might be safe without ruining GRUB.
    (a) remove the offending duplicate Mint via Terminal command (that is one of the sub-queries I have in needing to know how to do);

(b) remove offending kernals related to that duplicate install and update GRUB;

(c) boot into Windows to delete that offending partition and renew it with ext4 to eventually merge with the current Mint that I am using via KDE Partition Mgr;

Please provide some feedback to the above idea of mine if this would indeed resolve this issue. Otherwise if not, please keep reading for additional information.

Perhaps some useful information is posted below:

Code:
    user@user-Aspire-5749 ~ $ sudo os-prober
    [sudo] password for user: 
    /dev/sda1:Windows 7 (loader):Windows:chain
    /dev/sda10:Linux Mint 14 Nadia (14):LinuxMint:linux
    /dev/sda2:Windows 7 (loader):Windows1:chain
    /dev/sda3:Windows 7 (loader):Windows2:chain
    In the above Terminal cmd, it shows what OS I am using; however, as you can see below there is an extra image/kernal installed as well.

This is also evidenced by what GRUB displays during boot up. Sorry, but I dont know the procedure to attain to show you what GRUB shows me during boot up. Suffice it to say, that there are 2 Linux Mints (not including 2 Advanced Options for each one).

Code:
    user@user-Aspire-5749 ~ $ dpkg -l | grep linux-image-
    ii  linux-image-3.5.0-17-generic          3.5.0-17.28                               amd64        Linux kernel image for version 3.5.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
    ii  linux-image-extra-3.5.0-17-generic    3.5.0-17.28                               amd64        Linux kernel image for version 3.5.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
    ii  linux-image-generic                   3.5.0.17.19                               amd64        Generic Linux kernel image
    You can see that I have an extra image/kernal installed. I dont believe this is for the ADVANCED OPTIONS that are available via GRUB. Though I might be wrong. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have GRUB CUSTOMIZER installed, though I dont know how to present a .txt file of its output here for viewing so that you can see the fact that there is an inadvertant and extra MINT install on my HDD.

Code:
    user@user-Aspire-5749 ~ $ df
    Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda11      59189412 6289352  49893392  12% /
    udev             1937376      12   1937364   1% /dev
    tmpfs             779956    1032    778924   1% /run
    none                5120       0      5120   0% /run/lock
    none             1949888      88   1949800   1% /run/shm
    none              102400      12    102388   1% /run/user
    Again, it (the extra image and kernal) resides on /dev/sda10.

I can boot up into /dev/sda10 if you want to review/return information from there if you want to help ascertain anything needed to resolve this issue.

Beans

Re: Uninstalling a duplicate Linux Mint OS

never mind. I found a program called os-unistaller made by a ubuntu user. What a great program.

issue solved.