Thread: Creating subfolders under /home/myname/Documents

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

Creating subfolders under /home/myname/Documents

Using file manager under 12.04, I have created folders under /home/myname/documents/. For example /home/john/Documents/2013 Docs. This morning, I wanted to add the following subfolders /home/john/Documents/2013 Docs/January and /home/john/Documents/2013 Docs/February. Ubuntu won't let me do this. Why? Also, it will not get me change permissions for /home/john/Documents/2013 to read/write.

I am only user of this PC. I am listed as an Administrator. What is purpose of Ubuntu limiting such operations in my own /home/john/Documents subfolders?

How do I permanently fix this major inconvenience?

John

Beans

Re: Creating subfolders under /home/myname/Documents

How are you trying to create the subfolders (GUI file manager? terminal?)

If you are doing this in a terminal, remember you will need to escape any spaces in the path (or quote the whole path) e.g.

Code:
    mkdir /home/john/Documents/2013\ Docs/January
    or

Code:
    mkdir "/home/john/Documents/2013 Docs/January"
    To answer your other questions we will need to see the EXACT commands you are giving and the EXACT error message - not just ' Ubuntu won't let me do this'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

I am using File Manager. I do not like using the terminal. It is archaic in today's environment.

John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have just created a new folder (untitled) in the Documents folder and I can paste and cut files into and out of it. Admittedly, I am running this test on 13.04 as I am not using 12.04 at the moment. I ask this question:

How did you create that folder - 2013 Docs? And the folders January and February? If we create a folder when using Administrator privileges that we may not be the owner of the folder. Root will be the owner.

You can open a terminal. Yes I know it is archaic but, do you want a fix or don't you?

Run

Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    That will open the Nautilus File Manager with Administrator privileges. Do not close the terminal as that will close the File Manager. Now you should be able to use the file manager to change the permissions on those folders.

When finished close the terminal and Nautilus will close and revert back to being a standard user file manager. And the purpose of these restrictions? To prevent us users from being our own worse enemy.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Attachment 231453Even with my shared NTFS partitionI learned a while back to stop using spaces. Use CamelCase or under_score or just onelongname. Windows will work without the spaces and it makes things a lot simpler in Linux.

Terminal can be easier for us to explain to do something.
    cd /home/john/Documents
    ls -l

You should be able to do this from gui.
    From Nautilus edit, preferences and add columns to show permissions & ownership.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oldfred; February 15th, 2013 at 04:37 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.