Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: Huge Linux Steam Sale

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Malvern, UK
    Beans
    237
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Huge Linux Steam Sale

    World of Goo for £1.74? Going to (re-)buy that for myself, and gift the SO a copy.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vermont
    Beans
    851
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Huge Linux Steam Sale

    I'm not much of a gamer and never used steam. I installed Steam, though, to take a look (since there's so much excitement). Steam complains that there's no Flash Player, I followed all the instructions, only later realizing that the FLASH instructions are for Windows, not Linux (though at no point does STEAM tell us this). Also, apparently, this feature won't work on 64 bit versions. You'd think Steam would find a way to clarify this for Linux users, but at least there's Dedoimedo. Just in case this hasn't already been mentioned elsewhere, instructions for adding Flash Player in 64 bit versions are here.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Huge Linux Steam Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    I'm not much of a gamer and never used steam. I installed Steam, though, to take a look (since there's so much excitement). Steam complains that there's no Flash Player, I followed all the instructions, only later realizing that the FLASH instructions are for Windows, not Linux (though at no point does STEAM tell us this). Also, apparently, this feature won't work on 64 bit versions. You'd think Steam would find a way to clarify this for Linux users, but at least there's Dedoimedo. Just in case this hasn't already been mentioned elsewhere, instructions for adding Flash Player in 64 bit versions are here.
    Thanks for the link. It looks like the version of flash that Ubuntu installs from the restricted-extras metapackage is named differently than what Steam is expecting:

    Code:
    charles@Precise:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 Feb 14 07:43 /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so -> /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin
    Which links to this:

    Code:
    charles@Precise:~$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 48 Feb 14 07:43 /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin -> /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
    This is what file says:
    Code:
    charles@Precise:~$ file /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
    /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped
    I wonder if you can just do a symlink to libflashplayer.so, but it's a 64-bit version, as I am running a 64-bit version of Ubuntu.

    I think I'll see what happens..

    EDIT: Guess it just cannot use the 64-bit version. I also found this thread:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...5239653368215/

    Pay particular attention to this post:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...39071156596757

    Last edited by CharlesA; February 16th, 2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added results
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

    Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Denmark - Scandinavia
    Beans
    17,619
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Huge Linux Steam Sale

    Man, Crusader Kings II is awesome and brilliant. Going to buy some DLCs for that game.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    26

    Re: Huge Linux Steam Sale

    Man, this is an awesome sale! What a way to kick things off!

    Has anyone gotten their Tux in TF2 yet? I've installed, launched, played, uninstalled, reinstalled, relaunched, and replayed the game a few times, and I still don't have Tux. Is there some trick to this? Do you have to play something besides training to get him to show up?

    edit: Ah ha, it appears I still had the beta installed (from when I was using the Steam beta client). Downloading the final release now; hopefully that will take care of things!
    Last edited by Penguissimo; February 17th, 2013 at 06:38 AM.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Huge Linux Steam Sale

    All you need to do is launch TF2 on Linux and you'll see Tux in your loadout. Should be listed under Misc.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

    Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Neverland
    Beans
    894
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Huge Linux Steam Sale

    Just bought myself three new games, plus Serious Sam two weeks back. I did not intend to get these normally, but I did it to support the Steam guys. They need love for what they've done.
    Dedoimedo
    Linux Systems Expert / Systems Programmer, LPIC-1, LPIC-2(WIP), GSEC, CCHD, CCHA
    http://www.dedoimedo.com - A place to learn a lot about a lot!

    Pangolin Review | Ringtail Review | Linux Games | My books

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    26

    Re: Huge Linux Steam Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    All you need to do is launch TF2 on Linux and you'll see Tux in your loadout. Should be listed under Misc.
    Launching TF2 rather than the TF2 beta did the trick! Thanks!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Korea
    Beans
    440
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Huge Linux Steam Sale

    I bought 19 games for $74. Can't beat that with a stick!!

    So now I've got ~90 games, with ~60 of them having their full Linux versions ready to play.

    If you want to see some entertaining stuff, head on over to the Linux Steam Beta forums in Steam. All of the Windows users wanting their tux in TF2 are losing their minds trying to get Ubuntu and Steam working. HILARIOUS.
    Linux Gamer.
    Steam: rudeboyskunk
    Desura: rudeboyskunk
    Add me as a friend. Kill zombies/aliens/nazis with me. ON LINUX.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Huge Linux Steam Sale

    Quote Originally Posted by rudeboyskunk View Post
    I bought 19 games for $74. Can't beat that with a stick!!

    So now I've got ~90 games, with ~60 of them having their full Linux versions ready to play.

    If you want to see some entertaining stuff, head on over to the Linux Steam Beta forums in Steam. All of the Windows users wanting their tux in TF2 are losing their minds trying to get Ubuntu and Steam working. HILARIOUS.
    Try going as far as trying to run Ubuntu in a VM using VMWare due to it being able to handle graphics better than Vbox.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

    Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •