Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Huge Linux Steam Sale

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Huge Linux Steam Sale

World of Goo for £1.74? Going to (re-)buy that for myself, and gift the SO a copy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not much of a gamer and never used steam. I installed Steam, though, to take a look (since there's so much excitement). Steam complains that there's no Flash Player, I followed all the instructions, only later realizing that the FLASH instructions are for Windows, not Linux (though at no point does STEAM tell us this). Also, apparently, this feature won't work on 64 bit versions. You'd think Steam would find a way to clarify this for Linux users, but at least there's Dedoimedo. Just in case this hasn't already been mentioned elsewhere, instructions for adding Flash Player in 64 bit versions are here.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    I'm not much of a gamer and never used steam. I installed Steam, though, to take a look (since there's so much excitement). Steam complains that there's no Flash Player, I followed all the instructions, only later realizing that the FLASH instructions are for Windows, not Linux (though at no point does STEAM tell us this). Also, apparently, this feature won't work on 64 bit versions. You'd think Steam would find a way to clarify this for Linux users, but at least there's Dedoimedo. Just in case this hasn't already been mentioned elsewhere, instructions for adding Flash Player in 64 bit versions are here.
    Thanks for the link. It looks like the version of flash that Ubuntu installs from the restricted-extras metapackage is named differently than what Steam is expecting:

Code:
    charles@Precise:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 Feb 14 07:43 /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so -> /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin
    Which links to this:

Code:
    charles@Precise:~$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 48 Feb 14 07:43 /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin -> /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
    This is what file says:
    Code:
    charles@Precise:~$ file /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
    /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped
    I wonder if you can just do a symlink to libflashplayer.so, but it's a 64-bit version, as I am running a 64-bit version of Ubuntu.

I think I'll see what happens..

EDIT: Guess it just cannot use the 64-bit version. I also found this thread:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...5239653368215/

Pay particular attention to this post:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...39071156596757

Last edited by CharlesA; February 16th, 2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added results
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Man, Crusader Kings II is awesome and brilliant. Going to buy some DLCs for that game.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans

Man, this is an awesome sale! What a way to kick things off!

Has anyone gotten their Tux in TF2 yet? I've installed, launched, played, uninstalled, reinstalled, relaunched, and replayed the game a few times, and I still don't have Tux. Is there some trick to this? Do you have to play something besides training to get him to show up?

edit: Ah ha, it appears I still had the beta installed (from when I was using the Steam beta client). Downloading the final release now; hopefully that will take care of things!
    Last edited by Penguissimo; February 17th, 2013 at 06:38 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

All you need to do is launch TF2 on Linux and you'll see Tux in your loadout. Should be listed under Misc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just bought myself three new games, plus Serious Sam two weeks back. I did not intend to get these normally, but I did it to support the Steam guys. They need love for what they've done.
    Dedoimedo
    Linux Systems Expert / Systems Programmer, LPIC-1, LPIC-2(WIP), GSEC, CCHD, CCHA
    http://www.dedoimedo.com - A place to learn a lot about a lot!

Pangolin Review | Ringtail Review | Linux Games | My books

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    All you need to do is launch TF2 on Linux and you'll see Tux in your loadout. Should be listed under Misc.
    Launching TF2 rather than the TF2 beta did the trick! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

I bought 19 games for $74. Can't beat that with a stick!!

So now I've got ~90 games, with ~60 of them having their full Linux versions ready to play.

If you want to see some entertaining stuff, head on over to the Linux Steam Beta forums in Steam. All of the Windows users wanting their tux in TF2 are losing their minds trying to get Ubuntu and Steam working. HILARIOUS.
    Linux Gamer.
    Steam: rudeboyskunk
    Desura: rudeboyskunk
    Add me as a friend. Kill zombies/aliens/nazis with me. ON LINUX.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rudeboyskunk View Post
    I bought 19 games for $74. Can't beat that with a stick!!

So now I've got ~90 games, with ~60 of them having their full Linux versions ready to play.

If you want to see some entertaining stuff, head on over to the Linux Steam Beta forums in Steam. All of the Windows users wanting their tux in TF2 are losing their minds trying to get Ubuntu and Steam working. HILARIOUS.
    Try going as far as trying to run Ubuntu in a VM using VMWare due to it being able to handle graphics better than Vbox.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast