Thread: Hangup installing virtual machine

Beans

Hangup installing virtual machine

Hi, folks,

I'm trying to install Xubuntu as a virtual machine, using Vmware, on an XP host. I'm using a .iso file that's on the hard drive--not a live CD. Partway through the install, I get an error message: "Unable to find a medium containing a live file system", which is odd, since that's after the point where the Xubuntu splash screen has come up and the install has started; obviously, the .iso has been found at that point.

Any suggestions about how to fix or work around this hangup?

Thanks!

I.

Beans

Red face VMware install: infinite loop, installs forever!

Hi, folks,

I'm trying to install an Xubuntu 12.10 guest (32 bit) on a windows XP host. Two different approaches have failed.

1. From .iso (md5 is OK) on hard drive. Install is OK until near end, when it hangs with "(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system".

2. I burned the .iso to a CD and began installing from that. Installation proceeded normally and, near the end, the CD was ejected...then retracted again, and the install began again. Installation proceeded normally and, near the end, the CD was ejected...then retracted again, and the install began again. After four iterations of this, I snatched the CD right after it was ejected. The error message then was "(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system". The thing wants to keep installing over and over again, never finishing!

Is the problem VMware Player? Is it Xubuntu? I have no idea. Help!

I.

Beans

Re: Hangup installing virtual machine

I've done some more fiddling with this...see my new post.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Threads merged. Please do not start new threads for the same subject.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

The problem is Xubuntu 12.10. Probably all the flavors of Ubuntu 12.10. That thing is toxic. Infinite loop! That thing can kiss my shiny metal...coffee spoon. 12.04 works without a hitch.

Thanks a bunch!

I.